Chapter 9

Girl POV

--------------

He was holding my hand! I mean... Sure it was only to draw something on it, but still! Nothing had ever felt more amazing than his hand gently holding mine. I wanted to treasure this moment forever, never let it go. But as they do say... If you love it let it go.

"An ostrich. An ostrich I tell you! You are good at drawing those too," Chris argued. Jake smiled and nodded in agreement.

"Yeah. That is true. Ostrich it is." He began to draw on my hand. I tried to contain my excitement. Why did I always get this way when I was around him? "So Miss James," he said keeping his focus on my hand, "how are you?" I continued to grin.

"Fabulous. And you?" He looked up at me for a minute and smiled.

"Never better." As his chocolate brown eyes pulled away from my gaze, I wished they wouldn't. They were so comforting, welcoming, and happy. I desperately wanted to look into them and get lost in them.

"You know what has bugged me for awhile?" I asked after a minute. The motivational speaker was going on about something or the other.

"What?" he questioned as he continued to doodle the cartoon bird on my hand.

"People say that the more you talk about someone to other people, the farther in love you fall with them. Do you think it's true?" He stopped for a minute, thinking his answer through.

"I do," he answered finally. He glanced at me and I raised my eyebrows in a manner of asking him why he believed so. "Think about it. The more you talk about the person, the more you think about them, the more you realize how amazing they are, the more you fall in love with them. It's simple logic." I nodded, thinking about that.

"But it's not the same if you love the person and you are talking about all the awful things they've done to you. Think about it. The more you talk about it, the more you realize how bad it was, the more the pain, the more you dislike them. Right?"

"You tell me. When you would talk about Josh playing you would it make you hate him more or love him more?" I hesitated, taken aback by this question. That was a very touchy subject for me. Josh had torn me apart. He had taken all that I was and ripped it to shreds. I wasn't the girl I was before by far, and it's all because of Josh.

He must've realized by my silence that I didn't like the mentioning of this. "I'm sorry. I'm really very sorry. I forgot how that made you feel. I won't mention it again."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. You have a point. Every time I talked about it... It not only hurt... I fell more in love with him because I realized exactly how much he meant to me. I loved him and losing him hurt me more than anything." He finished his drawing and handed me back my pen.

"Exactly. You realized that the reason behind your pain, anger, and hatred is your love for him. So you just fell more and more helplessly in love with him." I blinked back tears. He gently placed his arm around me and side hugged me. I smiled. "Hey. Britnee. I know how that was with Josh, but just know I am here for you. I'll help you through it. I'll make you laugh. I'll make you laugh so hard you cry. And then you'll die of laughter. That's how hard you'll be laughing." I, as a matter of fact, began laughing at that. He hugged me close to him.

"Thanks Jake. That... That..." I looked up into his eyes, his face only millimeters from mine. I grinned uncontrollably.

"Yeah?" he asked when I didn't finish my sentence. He was beginning to smile himself. Was this it? Was this my first kiss? Was this that long awaited moment I'd wanted for so long with him?! Would I finally know what it is like to-

"Jake!" someone squealed from behind us. He looked towards them. I felt hatred boil up in me. As much as I loved the intruder, she was always in the way.

"Maryssa," he said happily. He took his arm from around me and turned around to talk to her. I guess all my thoughts were wrong. This wasn't it. I looked down at the ostrich on my hand. It looked amazing. He had written its name next to it. Alphred.

"Well. Looks like it's just you and me, Alphred," I said to the ostrich. Just me and the ostrich...

*If you love me let me go. This is Gospel by Panic! At The Disco. That's all that need be said. :) ❤️/Mona Lisa*