Chapter 3

Girl POV

--------------

I looked around the room and had to flip my bangs out of my face to see. After the conversation Jake and I had had last night, I was ready to talk to him. I always did. It was tradition really. I would skip over to him during BEAR Time, our Free Period (our school mascot was the bear, so instead of free period they decided to call it something "more appropriate"), and we would talk about everything random. There was no limit to what we talked about. My friend Alyssa soon sat down next to me texting Luke. Her brown hair was in a ponytail revealing her ice blue eyes.

"Well how's your life going?" I asked her. She didn't reply, and I didn't expect her to. When she was in her 'texting Luke' zone there was no coming out until she was done. I decided to fill the silence myself. "I invited Jake to go see Captain America with us tomorrow... He's busy.... Again. Not a big surprise. I should've seen it coming. I mean he's bailed on me..." I hesitated as I counted on my fingers the number of times he's bailed on me.

Homecoming game, corn maze, play, play again. Wow. He bailed on me twice for that one. Spring show, my birthday party. He doesn't even care about my birthday. Goodness. He doesn't care about me at all...

As much as I wanted to tell myself Jake would like me, I truly doubted it. I'd heard from his friend Chris that he likes Shanea Davidson. He couldn't ever like me. I was just... Britnee. I looked down at my fingers and finished what I was saying earlier.

"Six times, but who cares. I don't!" Alyssa looked up at me, finally, and shook her head.

"You suck at lying. I know you care. You couldn't care more," she said. She had a point, but I was willing to put this behind me. After I had cleared things up about this love thing, thanks Abigail, and asked him to come to Captain America we had had a good talk about life. He had crushed my dreams again, but I didn't care. He was Jake. It was his job. I would tell him my dreams for the future and he would crush them with logic and reality.

"You're right. I do care, but whatever. It doesn't matter. I'll move on. I mean this only makes seven times...." I looked towards the choir room doors and watched Jake walk in. I smiled unintentionally. I mentally smacked myself. What was with me? Why did he have to make me so happy?!

"Oh this is funny! I love how happy you get when he just walks in the room, because then you beat yourself up for being so happy and it's hilarious!" Alyssa said. I hit her playfully.

"Well thanks!" I sarcastically retorted. She grinned.

"Anytime!" I stopped and watched as she bit her lip texting Luke.

"I love how you bite your lip when you text him. It's just hilarious," I say. It's her turn to hit me. "Your welcome!" She shakes her head. I look over at Jake and watch him sit against the back wall. I took a few deep breaths. The bell rang and I knew I'd have to make my move. I had to go over and talk to him. I bit my lip nervously.

"Oh! Look who's doing it now!" Alyssa said hitting me again.

"I'm doing it because I'm nervous! Okay?!" I argued. She rolled her eyes.

"Nervous to talk to Jake? Since when?" She sent her text to Luke.

"Since last night when Abigail sent that text. I'm pretty sure he already knew I liked him. Now he definitely knows." I looked at Alyssa. I was so nervous I'd say something ridiculous. I couldn't go over there alone. I needed someone to keep me in check. I prepared my puppy dog face and looked at Alyssa pleadingly. "Will you come with me, please?" I pleaded.

"No," she stated. I dropped the pouting knowing that wouldn't work on her. I always gave it a shot anyways though.

"Please? For me?" I knew the moment I said 'For me' she would crack. I grinned as she shook her head.

"I hate you sometimes." I fist pumped and looked over at Jake. He was looking at something on his iPod. All this would take was ten seconds of insane courage. Ten seconds. Once I got over there I'd be fine, but until I got over there...

"I can't do this," I said turning to face her.

"Yes you can. You've done it before. I know you can." She slipped her phone in her pocket and stood up.

"Not this time...." I looked back in his direction for the 50 billionth time and took a few deep breaths. I could do this. It was just like any time before. This couldn't be that hard. Everything was going to be okay. It would all be fine. Just go over there. I took a few more deep breaths. "We will go over there in three minutes. Watch the clock," I decided. I went through all the files in my brain and organized my priorities. I thought of what I could say. I crossed things I shouldn't say from my mind. I'd be prepared when I went over there.

"Watching..." Alyssa said looking at the clock on her phone. I pushed my bangs aside nervously. Here we go. I could do this. I could do this.

Ten seconds of insane courage.

*Surprised there weren't any music references? I do love Captain America though. I mean who doesn't love Chris Evans? ❤️/Mona Lisa*