Chapter 19

Girl POV
--------------
Most people would call me a slut, but I promise you I'm not. After skipping 3rd hour with Garett to make out, kiss, and talk over at the Nat, I came back to the Middle School and acted like nothing had happened. I did it like I always did.
I know, it seems confusing this whole Garett thing. But it's a matter of promises, and I keep my promises. He was a friend, a very good friend, and I had made him a promise years ago that I could not break.
"Britnee," Maddy yelled after me. "Wait up!" I stopped and waited for her at the end of the empty hall. She finally reached me and smiled. "What's up?" I grinned.
"Not much. And you?" I asked. Her smile started to fade.
"Nothing." I looked over at her and she was looking at me concerned.
"What?" I asked.
"Nothing... It's just that..." She glanced around at anything and everything except me.
"What?" I repeated.
"You skipped 3rd hour again?" she asked. She met my eyes but couldn't keep the connection for long because I broke it when I continued to walk away. "Brit! Wait! Can we please talk!" She ran up next to me. The halls were empty and quiet. All you could hear was our breathing and our voices echoing off the walls. There was the quiet mutter of teacher's voices, but otherwise it was just us. It reminded me of when this all started.... Back in 5th grade.
His eyes met mine as we laughed in the empty hallways after school. He had to stay after because his grandma was coming to get him and I was here because my mom was the secretary.
"Why does your grandma always pick you up?" I asked him, playing with my hair.
"Because.... Can you keep a secret Britnee?" I looked at him and my heart skipped a beat. I wonder if he knew he was my first crush. His dirty blonde hair and green eyes were stunning.
"Of course Garett. You can trust me," I said blushing a little at the smile he was giving me.
"Well..." His smile began to fade. I knew something must be wrong. I knew Garett as well as I knew myself, which was really well obviously. We had spent plenty of time together ever since we ended up in the same 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes. The stroke of luck on that was incredible.
"Yes?" I asked, wanting him to continue.
"My parents are both dead. They passed away a few years ago." Tears filled my eyes. Why hadn't he told me this? He must be so- "I'm pretty much alone since I'm the only child."
Alone.
"I'm sorry, Garett! That's so sad!" I said, everything suddenly making sense. Why his grandma got him, why I never went to his house and met his parents, why he never talked about them... Because... They were dead.
"It's okay." He looked at me and smiled. "I have you." I blushed and looked at the ground smiling uncontrollably. "I love you Britnee," he said. I looked up at him, my eyes wide. He leaned towards me and kissed me.
"Wh-what?" I mumbled, unable to believe what I was hearing.
"I love you." I smiled so widely I thought my face might split.
"I... I love you, too," I replied finally. He moved to sit down next to me.
"Will you make me a promise?" he asked me after a moment of silence.
"Sure!" I excitedly answered, still floating I was so happy.
"I've lost so many people in my life. Promise me that you'll always be there for me?" I nodded.
"Promise," I said, continuing to smile.
"And promise you will always do whatever I need so I can be happy? I don't want to end up all sad all the time like my grandma," he added.
"I promise." He stuck out his pinkie and I linked mine with his.
"Whatever it takes to make me happy?" he asked.
"Yes. Whatever you need to be happy." He grinned like a madman. I would help him no matter what because he was one of my only friends. I couldn't lose him. I cared so much about him. I loved him.
"Good. I'll make sure you're happy in return."
"Okay," I replied softly.
"It's a promise then."
"BRITNEE!" Maddy yelled, snapping me from my thoughts. "Are you okay?"
"Sorry," I said, running a hand through my hair. "I'm just tired." I smiled and continued toward the lunchroom.
"Britnee," Maddy said, "can we talk? Why did you skip?" I smiled at her and patted her shoulder lightly.
"Because I can," I answered simply. I walked into the lunchroom and got in line for chicken nuggets. Chicken nuggets, the greatest food known to man. And ever since I met Jake and first hugged him over a stolen chicken nugget, chicken nugget day was like Christmas.
No one could ever know about this promise. If they knew they would think what they always thought about a girl who liked one guy and kissed another. They would think I was a slut. But I wasn't...... I was simply keeping good on my promise. I know it was stupid since we were both young, and well... Stupid... And we didn't know what love is, but if anything we love each other like siblings. And that was good enough, good enough to help me keep that promise. That and I didn't believe in breaking promises. Because I was Britnee James.
And I NEVER break promises.
*Welllllll. What do you think? Should she keep this promise? I don't know if I would. "She doesn't know. The effect she has." -Peeta Mellark. ❤️/Mona Lisa*