Chapter 12: Inquiring Minds

Start from the beginning

"This has all happened so fast," I mumbled into his shoulder. His body shook a little when he chuckled.

"I know Jake. It has," he agreed. "But it feels right," he soothed. I nodded my head against his. It did feel right. It felt more right than anything had in my life. He touched his lips against mine in a gentle, chaste kiss. I melted, leaning into him for support. Kissing him set off fireworks in my insides. I felt light and relaxed whenever his lips found mine. When I kissed Kim it was nothing like this. It was completely empty. I knew this was right. This was what I needed.

"What is it they say?" I asked gently as we pulled back to look at each other. He raised an eyebrow in question. "The best relationships start as best friends?" I smiled knowingly. The look in his eyes showed so much affection and love that I felt weak in the knees. I know how cheesy it sounds but it was entirely the truth. I loved my best friend. I love him. Even though I'm damaged goods he's still here for me.

My phone vibrated in my pocket where I left it. It was a text from my dad. 'Hey son, when are you coming home?' I quickly messaged him back. 'Maybe a little later. Why?' I wondered why he was wanting to know. Usually my parents didn't care how long I was at Sean's house. 'Your mom and I would like to talk to you sometime. Nothing major.' I read, my eyes growing wide. Sean looked down at my phone and back at me.

"What is it?" He asked curiously. I showed him the message. His eyes met mine again. "Jake-"

"Do you think they know? What am I gonna tell them? They will be mad. I can't handle that right now." I rambled running my hand through my hair. Sean grabbed me and made me look at him forcefully.

"Jake," he said carefully and evenly, making me focus completely on him. "There's something you should know." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I seemed to be doing that a lot lately. 

"What is it?" I asked impatiently, the panic setting in. My parents wanted to have a 'talk' with me. Oh god. 

"Well uh...w-when you passed out..." he trailed off, fidgeting with his fingers nervously and avoiding my gaze now. 

"Yes?" I prodded. 

"Your dad came to see me." He rushed, barely giving me time to register the words. I blinked a few times. 

"And?" I questioned further, trying to keep calm. 

"Well he asked me if I knew why you were so sad, apart from Collin, and if I had anything to do with it," he answered, still playing with his hands. 

"What did you tell him?" I asked. Sean closed his eyes briefly before looking directly at me.

"The truth," he replied. I waited for him to continue, expecting some details. "I told him what happened at the park that day." I gasped and my mouth fell open.

"You did WHAT!? I yelled. Sean noticeably winced.

"Jake, he pressed me when I wasn't very forthcoming at first. He said he knew something was off between you and me, and that he had seen how openly affectionate I was towards you..." he trailed off again, his voice morphing into a whisper.

"Shit," I cursed, taking deep breaths to try to calm myself. "Let me guess, he didn't take it well? Is that why you weren't going to tell me about this?" I huffed.

"No I wasn't gonna tell you because you need to talk to your dad yourself and figure things out," he reasoned, shrugging his shoulders slightly. I shook my head a couple times.

"I can't," I muttered, letting my head drop. My eyes were starting to water and I found myself fighting back the tears that were threatening to spill once more. I was tired of this, all of this. One minute I was feeling pretty decent and the next I was close to sobbing. It was exhausting to say the least. I felt bad for Sean and my parents having to deal with my emotional ups and downs. It felt like a rollercoaster ride even to myself.