38: Lights, Camera, Action!

Start from the beginning

"Where's Vivian and Elise?" The former wasn't near Camilla, as I had expected her to be given prior experience and Elise was nowhere to be seen either.

"Didn't you hear? Vivian quit yesterday, the Jotun attack really got to her."

The dead giant flashed across my mind, as well as the wreck and death it had left it's in rampage. "I don't blame her. It was terrible."

"It is terrible," Melinda agreed, "and it was scary but I didn't think she'd quit over it. I mean, something scary and life-threatening can happen on any world."

"That's one way to look at it." Though I was sure being the size of sky scrapers that could break buildings with their bare hands and conjure ice weren't in the realm of usual dangers. "And what about Elise?"

"She's here, probably just getting ready. Oh look," she edged towards the set and I followed as the studio audience broke out into rapturous applause. "Our cue is going to come any moment."

"What cue?" I hissed as Camilla walked up behind me. I could just see her out of my peripheral before she disappeared behind me.

"They'll tell us," Melinda said as a skinny man hurried towards us, talking rapidly into a headset. "There are supposed to be four of you," he said, breaking away from the mouthpiece and glaring at us. "Where's the last one?"

"I'm here!" I snapped my head towards Elise's voice and though she was late, I couldn't deny that her effort hadn't been wasted if she had indeed been getting ready. She was striking in a gown of lightweight, pale blue fabric and the daring V-neck added an edge to the look that couldn't be ignored. "Sorry!" she gasped as she hurried to get in line with the rest of us.

The producer (or rather I assumed that's who he was) glowered a moment and then spoke rapidly into his headset again. "Okay you're on ladies, you there, Lady Melinda, your first."

"Good luck!" I whispered as my friend walked out, I could just spot the crowd as she moved out to greet them, the applause crashing over the space like a wave hitting the shore.

"Hello!" A male voice called out and I spotted a man in a sleek navy suit with a violently orange bow tie sitting opposite Melinda on a comfy-looking white couch. "Welcome to Late Night with Borjon Lady Melinda, how are you this evening? I must say, you look ravishing!"

"Why thank you!" I hoped to the producer's hadn't given Melinda a microphone. Her booming voice carried clearly to the side stage. "Trust me, I did not wake up like this!" Her jab made the crowd and the host laugh and I envied the apparent ease with which Melinda navigated her interview. Everything flowed smoothly as she answered the various questions Borjon threw at her, occasionally winning a laugh from the audience. I tried to pay attention but all the questions about her outfit bored me to tears. But thankfully, the topic was short and he began to ask questions about her life on Midgard which brought them to the story of how Melinda cherished the ambition to visit Egypt for archeological study and intended to dress like Indiana Jones when she did. And how she found Asgard to be one of the most amazing educational opportunities she'd ever been presented with.

Borjon laughed though this time it felt a bit forced. "Well I hope you get to explore our history as much as you desire."

"If that was the case I'd never leave the library." The audience laughed at Melinda's joke one last time and with a theatrical send off from Borjon, she bowed to her audience and exited backstage as Borjon introduced his next guest.

"Oh god my heart is beating so fast," Melinda panted as she returned to Elise and I, pale face flushed even in the dim lighting. "That was nuts!"