007. months later

Start from the beginning

Raleigh glanced at the board, seeing a PowerPoint being projected on it. He shut his phone off and placed it into his pocket, and straightened up in his seat. "Because North Korea invaded South Korea." History was relatively easy to Raleigh, so it wasn't hard for him to answer the question, but his round tone gave that away. A few students laughed, and Mr. Johan remained silent. He was looking for a more detailed explanation. Raleigh sighed. "Korea was split after World War Two, and North Korea wanted to reconnect them under communism. And then the United States got involved, and then China got involved..."

"Mhm." Mr. Johan hummed, happy to get a correct answer out of a student. "Make sure to stay focused."

Raleigh nodded and picked his pencil back up.

› › › ›

Once free period popped up, students moved either towards the school exit for fresh air or to their school clubs. For Raleigh Ridley, he was heading in the direction of the Academic Decathlon room with his backpack stuffed with books and notes from his earlier classes. In his arms, he was hugging his review binder filled with detailed notes and the book for the Decathlon Nationals. His pockets were filled with different colored highlighters and pens.

"Oh, you're coming to Decathlon?" Raleigh raised a brow at Peter, finding him just outside the club door. He spun around, jumping slightly, before scratching the back of his neck and nodding. Raleigh smiled, happy to see him doing a normal thing for once in the two months that their lives had changed, and enters the room right behind the boy.

He noticed Liz already hammering away at a group of members and moved to sit beside Sally Avril, who was laying on her stomach and highlighting in the Decathlon book. He caught sight of Michelle Jones on the other side of Sally and smiled at her. Though the girl didn't smile back, she did give him a half-pity wave before going back to reading her book.

He smiled to himself and leaned his back against the wall. Michelle terrified him because of her dry sense of humor, but that was also what Raleigh found most endearing about his classmate. He may not know if she was joking with him or making fun of him, but he still found his short conversations with her memorable and enjoyable.

He moved his hair out of his eyes and started following Sally's example of a good club member, and began studying the work. Somehow during the session, he ended up with one highlighter resting between his teeth and a pen hurriedly scribbling notes on the sides of the book and into his notebook.

"You've never been in the same room as Tony Stark." Flash's loud voice, sounded over Liz's quizzing one.

Raleigh raised his head in confusion, immediately noticing that Peter was speaking with Mr. Harrington, the head of the Academic Decathlon Team.

"Wait." Cindy Moon shook her head in confusion. "What's happening?"

"Peter's not going to Washington," Sally said from beside Raleigh, and he flipped his head to the other boy.

"Excuse me?" Raleigh caught the attention of Peter, but the boy hastily avoided his piercing gaze.

Abe dinged the bell on his desk. "Why not?"

"Really? Right before Nationals?" Liz asked Peter. Disappointment laced in her voice. Raleigh knew Peter had a crush on Liz, but it didn't even seem she could change the boy's mind.

"He already quit marching band and robotics lab." Michelle pointed out, and everyone turned to her. Even Raleigh raised his eyebrows to that. "I'm not obsessed with him. Just very observant."

Liz sighed. "Flash, you're in for Peter."

Flash hummed and then grinned. "I don't know. I gotta check my calendar first. I got a hot date with Black Widow coming up."