75

What Robin had told them and Marina's warning allowed Castillano to manage his shock when he saw Morris. The young man waited for him with his good eye only half-opened, and he moved a scrawny hand with no nails to point at a chair. Castillano pulled it up to the bed and sat down, leaning forward, because it was plain to see Morris could hardly talk.

"Don't you... leave her... again..." was the first thing Morris said, in the hoarse murmur he had left for a voice.

Castillano smiled. Those two were a piece of work. The man was still clinging to life, and he invested what few strength he had to worry over Marina.

"Never again, Van Dort. But don't you leave her either. Because she can live without me, but without you..."

Morris nodded. "I know... that's why..."

Castillano shook his head, chuckling. "I hate you, you know?"

Morris' lips fluttered to purse in a smile. "Me too."

Marina found Castillano still chuckling, helping Morris to drink water straight from the glass.

"Look at you with your new friend. You don't use the glass with me," she grumbled.

Morris moved his head back and Castillano helped him to rest it on the pillow.

"You sound like the old wolf," Morris murmured.

"And now you give speeches! To mock me! Would you fancy wine and roasted meat for dinner too?"

Marina moved her cushion to kneel by her friend's head, the dish with fruit cubes on her lap, and covered his chest with a spotless napkin.

Castillano stood up and nodded to the cabin door.

De Neill had left Philippe at the helm and had joined Maxó near the aft hatch

De Neill had left Philippe at the helm and had joined Maxó near the aft hatch. They traded a curious look when Castillano walked out of the cabin and approached them in no hurry, his blue eyes scanning the deck with his trademark meticulous look.

"What happened to this ship?" he asked, keeping his voice down. "I've never seen it untidy."

"Those lazy Jamaicans," Maxó grumbled. "We can't find a way to make them work, save the whip."

"The pearl still refuses to come anywhere near Tortuga, but we needed to complete the crew," De Neill explained.

Castillano tilted his head, thinking. "Luis can't be far," he said, pointing to the east. "We left Curaçao together."

"What's he sailing? That fat Coronado raft?"

"Laventry gave him the Cartage in Tortuga, and recruited him a crew he hasn't complained about." Castillano shrugged. "We could trade him some sailors who appreciate the Phantom as she deserves for as many lazy Jamaicans. And let him take them back to Port Royal."

De Neill laughed heartedly. "You think like a Brethren of the Coast, Lion!"

Castillano crossed himself. "God forbid," he said gravely.