23

After the troubled first days Marina had in Campeche, time flowed in a smooth, mellow way that made Dolores and Alma suspicious.

"Too mellow," they would agree.

All that sudden calm kept them on edge.

The girl didn't have any problem sharing Castillano's confinement, because she felt safer in the house than out on the streets, and that patch of sea she could see from her window cheered her up when she felt like withering, away from the waves and the salty wind for so long.

As for Castillano, he seemed to have locked up not only his uniform, but also his temper. Marina had a benignant effect on his rough, bellicose ways, and the whole house was relieved with his new inclination to smile and even make jokes.

They spent most of the time together, like they never got tired of their mutual company. Alma would find them in the library during the hottest hours after lunch, sitting at the same couch, each reading a different book and not even glancing at each other, but holding hands. Doña Isabel's piano became the center of everyday moments once again, especially after dinner. Castillano enjoyed hearing Marina play, and he could spend a couple of hours just sitting near the piano, oblivious to the world, simply gazing at her as the sweet melodies she played seemed to wrap around him. He wouldn't change his attitude even the evenings Segovia had dinner with them, and he and Dolores joined them in the parlor after the desserts.

"Who knew this skittish girl would tame the famous Lion," the general said once.

Dolores nodded, watching Marina and remembering that night when she'd seen the girl chasing Castillano all over the main hall, beating the crap out of him with toy swords.

"That shows we never know what can touch our hearts," she replied.

Segovia misunderstood her mild smile and pressed her hand among the thousand folds of her dress.

Sunset would find them in the garden. They liked strolling around the flowerbeds when the heat broke, enjoying the smell of jasmines in the air. They always went hand in hand, and Marina liked to rest her head on his shoulder as they talked in whispers.

The life of Castillano's guards was easier too, thanks to his good mood. Marina and Castillano spent their days with open doors, in plain view for anyone to see. Which had the opposite effect, and made everybody around them feel awkward about invading what little privacy they could have.

So at first everybody would freeze when they found them kissing in the middle of the garden. And then everybody looked away and minded their own businesses. The soldiers, trusting Castillano wouldn't even try to break free, used to linger near the kitchen, wooing the maids, with some distracted glance now and then at the tamarind tree, or wherever they'd last seen the couple. Garrido hadn't shown up again. Dolores had told Segovia about what the soldier had done and the general replaced him that very day. That had turned the watchdogs in perfect gentlemen.

Castillano let the time pass by, avoiding any deep thought or question. He would've never believed such a simple, yet fulfilling happiness could be possible. Especially in his situation. Yet there it was. Marina was a companion like nothing he'd ever dared to dream, and being with her made him feel in such a way that he only missed the sea to make it perfect.

During the day, they shared their everyday life in harmony, and they laughed together at the surprise of those around them. And at night, while the rest of the household slept, they met in secret to vent out that part of their natures that didn't fit watchdogs, pretty dresses and witnesses.

Which Castillano admitted surely had a different meaning for the rest of world, being about a man and a woman sneaking out to meet at midnight. But he'd already come to terms with it, and accepted that not even clandestine social habits applied to Marina.