65

The Spaniards, seeing the English hadn't followed them south, correctly assessed they would come from the east.

The Victory's lookouts spotted the black bulk coming out from behind the keys just in time. Robin ordered to turn alarboard to prevent the collision, and the Holly Avenger crossed before the Victory, firing a broadside. The English responded in kind and set course after the Spaniards toward Trujillo.

The Phantom was coming out of the bay, and everybody paused whatever they were doing when they heard the cannon fire. Marina looked at Jean, who kept his eyes low with a focused frown.

"Sixteen twenty-four-pounders," he said as Robin's gunners shot.

"Bloody hell!" the girl cried. "A dozen guns more than us! And bigger!"

"What course, pearl?" asked De Neill.

Still cursing, Marina climbed to the gunwale and up to the second ratline of the mainmast rigging. She breathed deep, turned her face to the wind and paid attention. It blew from the southeast, the way the Victory and the Holly Avenger were heading. But past Cape Cameron, outside the Gulf, it would still blow steady from the east. The Spaniards couldn't seek shelter in Trujillo and risk an attack on the city, so they would sail close hauled to the southeast to reach open sea.

"To Boccana, De Neill," she said. The southeast wind would let us reach the eastern island of the bay. And once they reached it, they would have the wind across the beam, instead of a headwind over the bows, to cross to Cape Cameron. And they would catch up with the frigates without tacking.

"But the Spaniards are running south!" Sorensen argued.

The girl jumped down from the gunwale and grasped the redcoat's chest, forcing the man to lower his head toward her. "The next time you object my orders, I'll send you fish for your teeth," she growled. "Now take your men below and put to work."

"Aye, aye, pearl," the man mumbled, staggering back. "I'm sorry, pearl."

The Phantom sailed past Boccana two hours later

The Phantom sailed past Boccana two hours later. Just like Marina expected, there they found steady east wind and the pirate ship turned south.

Nobody got any sleep that night, and by dawn the most-urgent repairs were finished, and the water had been pumped out of the bilge. Even though it wasn't in its best shape, the Phantom could sail at full speed and fight another battle.

Halfway to the mainland, the growing light showed the two frigates in the offing. They still sailed southeast, close hauled. They ran parallel to each other, the Victory on the shore side, half a mile between them. They kept exchanging sporadic fire.

"Hoist all sails!" Marina commanded. "Take us there, De Neill! Maxó, hoist the banners!"

"Aye, aye, pearl!"

"Jean, we're going to need incendiary balls! Gerrit, move the swivel guns to the bows!"

"Aye, aye, pearl!"