45

Since she couldn't go back home soon, Marina decided to take her guests to Monte Christi, and make sure they had a ship to go back to Santiago. Considering they'd be back to Tortuga in a day, and Marina wanted to make sure nobody disturbed her mother and Laventry, Morris had brought Dolores with them. For such a short trip in safe waters, Marina had summoned only half of the Phantom crew.

By sunset they were sailing in short tacks near Cap Français. Pirates and guests chattered on deck, enjoying the cool wind from the ocean, when Oliver called out from the maintop.

"Larboard ahoy! Two masts and laying to! No banner!"

Morris studied it through his telescope and frowned. "Oi! What's that? A ghost ship?"

"Let's get closer, De Neill," Marina ordered.

As soon as they veered, the unidentified brigantine trimmed sails and bore down on the Phantom, sides bristling with cannons.

"Beat to quarters!" Morris commanded. "Battle stations!"

Then the black flag flapped atop the brigantine's mainmast as it turned to sail alongside the Phantom.

Morris noticed nobody had followed his orders and turned to Marina with a questioning frown.

A rough voice shouted out loud from the brigantine, "Phantom ahoy! You have five minutes to hand our captain over! Else we will board you!"

"Jean?" muttered Morris puzzled.

Marina climbed to the gunwale to reply on top of her lungs. "I'd like to see that! Come get him if you dare!"

Morris' eyes opened like grapefruits when the ship kept turning until it showed all its gunports and its transom. The sun, low on the horizon, seemed to ignite the golden words.

"The Carthage?" he asked in disbelief.

A boat rowed from the brigantine toward the Phantom.

"Don't worry, my friend. I'm not giving you up without a fight," said Marina, trying to sound grave.

Alonso saw Morris' face and couldn't help a chuckle, because he gawked speechless, just like the day Wan Claup had promoted him to Sovereign's lieutenant.

"Congratulations, Captain," Alonso said.

Morris shook his hand, still baffled. He turned to Dolores and found her warm smile. Then he faced Marina and his eyes welled. He snatched her from the gunwale and hugged her, laughing. She threw her arms around his neck, laughing with him.

"Forget it," Morris whispered to her. "I'm not letting you go all alone."

"I wouldn't let you. But I already wanted to give you a Toledo, Captain Van Dort."

"Good Lord, child, how will I...?"

"Stay by my side, always, like you've been my whole life. Gunwale to gunwale or shoulder to shoulder, I don't care. But always together."

"Always, my pearl. Always."