11

We pulled away from each other all too soon. Both trying to catch our breaths as he placed his forehead on mine. The moment was over and the reality of the situation was setting back in.

"I can't go with you Vitaly."

He pulled back and stared into my eyes. Trying to read me like he always did.

"Why the fuck not?"

I pulled further away from him. I needed space to ask my questions. To grill him about the last two years of his life.

"Why did you leave the states?"

He looked puzzled for a moment but I could see realization setting in. He knew where I was going with this, what I needed to hear.

"I didn't trust myself to be so close to you. I needed space from Nikita's nagging about what I had done. I tried to escape the guilt and regret that came with my leaving you."

I trailed my eyes over his body and rested them on his face. He was serious, his face set in a hard frown.

"I bounced around a few countries for a year before spending this past year back in Russia."

I was nodding my head along with his words. Why I felt like my tongue was ripped out was beyond me. I opened and closed my mouth a few times before finally asking what I needed to know.

"How many Vitaly?....how many women?"

He ran his hands over his slicked back hair and began to pace. He didn't want to answer me and deep down I didn't want to hear it.

"Two....a woman I met while in England and.."

He stopped making my heart began to do a nervous flutter. "Tell me!"

"There was Mila....we spent the last year together in Russia. I met her shortly after I arrived there."

That little piece I thought put itself back together? Fucking shattered. Turned into ash on the ground. He spent a year with another woman. The same woman, I could handle a one night stand or the meaningless fling in England but this....it was too much.

"Please listen to me Scar. The only reason I stayed with her so long was because she reminded me of you. I needed you and I couldn't have you."

I quickly wiped the tears that were starting to fall and glanced at the door. I wanted to bolt...run out of the room and leave everyone I ever knew behind. I couldn't though, my love was greater than my pain.

"Did you love her? Did you make promises to her? Where is she now?"

He walked to stand in front of me. Placing both hands on my shoulders he made me look him right in the eyes. Those same eyes that I fell in love with.

"No I didn't love her. Not one bit, I made her no promises because I couldn't keep them. She understood the situation. I left her back in Russia.

You have my heart Scar. We both made really bad decisions but it's been two years. We've had our time apart. It's about time we found our way back to each other don't you think?"

I felt the smile growing on my face despite myself. I nodded my head and cried silently when he pulled me into his arms.

"We're doing this the right way this time. I'm going to stay in my old room and you're going to take me on cheesy dates like you would if we had just met."

He let out a deep chuckle and kissed the top of my head. "I think I can do that."

We made our way back to the party where everyone was dancing and drinking the night away. Evie and Nikolai seemed happy in the corner of the room. Nikolai was leaned over whispering something in Evie's ear that was making her blush.