The sun's getting real low

Daisy

I woke up in some kind of hospital wing of the ship. I honestly didn't even know that the ship had a hospital wing. "What the hell happened?" I mumbled. "You blacked out," May's voice sounded from my left side. "Huh?" "Hi." "I what?" "You blacked out." "How?" "How are your arms?" "What's that got to do with it?" "They're broken, Daisy." "What? You mean like when I just discovered my powers?" "Yes, just like that." "But... how?" "We're not sure, but we think it's because of the vibranium. We think it might have blocked your power from going out and sent it back instead, resulting in this." "Oh... Ow..." "Yes, ow." "So... what now? I'll just have to stay here on the ship and do nothing?" "That's kind of the plan, yes. It's not as if someone can magically heal your arms, Daisy." I groaned, "So I'm useless now. Great..." "You're not useless." "I can barely move my arms without them hurting... a lot." "That doesn't make you useless." "For now it does." "Maybe...," she gave in. "So... who was that woman anyway?" "Carol Danvers, an old friend of Fury." "Se she was on the other end of that pager, huh?" "Yes, she was. And she's on our side." "Well... I guess that's a good thing." "Not sure yet." "You don't know her so you don't trust her?" May shrugged, "It's a bit like that. There's also the question why she only now comes to help us." "Well... Fury called her to us, right? So I guess we should question him when he's back." "If we ever find him." "Is it that hard to find a one-eyed man in a long black coat?" "You'd be surprised."

Honestly, my time in the hospital wing was as boring as it comes. There wasn't much I could do, because a lot of things require you to use your arms, so I spend some time reading and eating snacks, waiting for people to come visit me, which happened quite frequently. May came a few times, Bobbi, Hunter and Mack came to visit me too. And eventually Carol came to visit me too. "So, you're Daisy, huh?" I looked up from the book I was reading, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, borrowed from one Natasha Romanoff, I was sure by now that she was secretly a nerd. "And you must be Carol." She nodded, "Indeed I am," she said as she sat down on a chair. "What brings you here?" "I got two reasons, one, you tried to attack me, so it's kinda thanks to me that you're here. Two, I heard some things about you." "What did you hear?" "I heard that you have Kree blood. Is that true?" She seemed to be curious. "Uh... yes... why?" "Is that how you got those powers of yours?" "Yeah, that and some weird diviner thing." "It's fascinating what Kree blood can do to a human, even when it's just a little bit..." "Uh... I don't think I follow, but sure." "I have Kree blood too." "You do?" "Yes, quite a lot more than you do though." "How?" "That's... a long story." "Well... I'm not going anywhere." She smiled slightly, "And I guess I do owe it to you to tell you now." "Pretty much, yes." "Well, it all started when I joined the air force..."

"Wait, wait, wait. That's how Fury lost his eye?" I asked her when she was finished telling her story. "He lost his eye?" "Well... he's blind in one eye at least." "Ah, I was afraid that would happen." "And the cat is not a cat?" "No, she's not, she's a Flerken." "And you fought the Kree?" "Eventually, yes. But after that I spend more of my time trying to help my friends find a planet they could live on." "Huh... and... You met Phil?" "Who?" "The rookie, Agent Coulson." "Yes." I grinned, it was hard for me to think of Phil as a rookie. "Fury seriously called him rookie?" "Yes, why is that so funny to you?" "Because "agent" Coulson is Director Coulson by now." "Really?" "Yeah, it was Fury at first, but then S.H.I.E.L.D. turned out to be infested by Hydra, so it went on "lockdown" and Fury went under the radar, just like the remaining part of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Coulson as director." "So, you just can't imagine your boss as a rookie?" "Yeah, that's it." "Well, I have to say I can see the humor in that." "I know right? It's just... to hear that your boss used to be called "rookie" it's kinda hilarious."

When Carol left I continued to read Natasha's book, and eventually I went to sleep, expecting nothing special to happen. Neither this night or the next day. Well, I was partly right in that. That night was a very normal night. Nothing special happened, except maybe that someone played AC/DC very loud over the speakers of the ship. I'm not saying it was Tony, but I'm pretty sure it was Tony. Honestly, I didn't mind that much, but I was trying to sleep, so... That was kinda annoying.