Chapter 4: Guilty

Start from the beginning

Someone rang the doorbell, waking me from a light sleep. I slowly sat up on the worn leather couch and rubbed the crust from the corners of my eyes. Once I was awake enough to realize what was going on, I grabbed my phone to check for messages. Maybe Ben is inviting some people over today.

It wasn't long before they continually pounded on the screen. My teeth grinded together and face boiled at their impatience. "Fuckin' disrespectful cunt! You better not be a solicitor!" I yelled as I rushed through the dining room and to the front door.

After quickly unlocking the dead bolt, I swung it open, catching it before the doorknob slammed against the wall. On the other side of the screen I saw four men standing in the yard.

"Are you Alistair Creed?" a distraught, heavy set guy in his early forties asked.

I grasped the edge of the door and closed it slightly before confirming, "Yeah, who are you?"

A sadistic smile spread across his face causing me to step back. He turned around and waved for the others to come, but it was all for naught. They can't get in, there's no way... Right?

A shattering sound resonated through my chest, causing my heart to drop when one of them launched a brick through the window. Before there was much time to process, an agile man leapt through its serrated edges. The broken glass crunched underneath his weight as he made his way towards me.

Blood rushed to my legs, causing me to flee back into the living room. My hands trembled, desperately searching the couch for my phone, but they grabbed my arms and forced me to face their deranged leader.

"I have a message," he murmured. I was perplexed, having no clue as to why they were here, but then he cleared it up for me. "Daniel said to tell you that he sends his regards."

Terror hurled my body out of bed with so much urgency that I slammed into the dresser. My fingers clutched at the drawers, trying to climb in an attempt to get away, but soon, I realized I was no longer dreaming and my body collapsed to the floor. I exhaled with a sigh, relieved to be awake, but my relief was short-lived once I remembered I had an appointment to get to.

Can't I have a normal dream just once? Just once so I can peacefully oversleep?

As I wiped the sweat from my face, I knew my bed was drenched. "Fuck," I complained, "you gotta be kidding me."

I slowly stood to my feet and yanked on the chain dangling from the ceiling fan. After I could see clearly, I removed the comforter and top sheet from the bed, yet encountered some difficulty when the fitted sheet wouldn't let go of the corners of the mattress. A grumble left my mouth before I gave it a couple of tugs. Eventually, the sheet released its grasp and I was able to throw everything in the washer.

While they were completing the cycle, I took a shower and got ready to see Rachel yet again. The thought of seeing that blonde bimbo's face made me want to hurl or throw myself off a building, but I knew that was just my morning attitude talking.

"How have you been?" she asked, noticing my weary demeanor.

I smiled weakly. "Just peachy, now that I get to see you."

"You don't look like you've been getting enough sleep. Even the last time I saw you, you seemed... exhausted." She avoided my flirt, though I admired that about her. She wasn't easy and never gave any other man but her husband the time of day. Maybe seeing my condition was petrifying enough to steer her away from thoughts of adultery. Although, she was strong and it's always the weak that cheat. I guess I was just testing to see if she'd falter.

I sighed. "You know why, yet you press even further to avoid my comment."

She crossed her legs, piercing me with those ocean blue eyes. "Fair enough, I just wanted to see if you held true to your story-if you were truly worried about him coming after you again."