Chapter 10: Simple Things are the Best

Start from the beginning

"Uh hey," I said lamely. He smiled softly.

"Hey," he replied, fixing his adorable chocolate brown eyes on me.

"When you said you wanted to have lunch, I didn't think you meant literal lunch," I chuckled slightly, shaking my head. He shrugged.

"I figured it'd be a good time," he said, still looking at me with an unreadable expression.

"For?" I questioned as he turned around and I followed him into the house.

"You'll see," he stated flatly. I sighed inwardly, taking my shoes off. Sean continued walking and disappeared into the kitchen.

"So where's your mom?" I asked as I made my way through the house.

"She's working," came his voice from around the corner.

"I see," I said. No wonder he wanted to have lunch today. It'd been a couple days since he asked me to talk when I was in the hospital, and we'd hung out a couple times since then, but he always avoided discussing what had happened, leaving me even more confused. I had been doing my best to shrug it off but it was secretly eating away at me. Why did he pull away that day at the park? I needed answers.

I walked into the kitchen where Sean was and stopped in my tracks, the smell of freshly chopped onions filling my nostrils. Sean was busying himself in the kitchen.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly. "I thought I'd have it ready when you got here." He looked at me bashfully. I couldn't help but smile. He was cooking for me!?

"That's no problem. Can I help?" He grinned at that.

"Sure. You can chop the vegetables," he motioned me over. I took up position beside him as he cut up some chicken into pieces and washed some lettuce. I chopped some red and green peppers.

"I hope you don't mind salad." He said quietly. "I cooked the chicken and bought all the stuff, I just figured it'd be something easier to make." He looked at me shyly, blushing a little.

"You going healthy on me?" I teased. He laughed.

"It's not healthy when you put cheese and some horribly fattening dressing on it," he pointed out. I grinned like an idiot. He smirked slightly.

I finished cutting up the veggies and we got out two bowls and starting mixing everything together. It really looked delicious and my stomach was growling hungrily. We sat at the table across from each other and dug in. It tasted delicious. I loved the chicken mixed in with the dressing and veggies and cheese. It was the best salad I'd ever had.

"So um..what did you wanna talk about?" I asked tentatively, avoiding looking at him. Instead I chose to concentrate on my food.

"I wanted to apologize," he said. I looked up at him. "You've been through a lot and I added to that. I'm sorry. Words aren't enough Jake."

I nodded slightly. "It's okay. Really." I replied.

"No it isn't Jake. I'm sorry if I hurt you. That was the last thing I wanted. I guess I- I'm just..I guess," he stammered. I waited for him to continue.

"I'm scared," he whispered. I barely heard it and for a brief moment I wondered if I'd imagined it.

"Me too," I answered. He gazed at me for a while. Then suddenly he reached across the table and took my hand in his.

"Jake we've been friends for a long time," he stated looking at me fondly, my cheeks flushed and I found myself fighting to hold his gaze under the intensity. My breath caught in my throat. "I've realized though that I don't want to be friends with you." I went to pull my hand back and I scowled in disappointment, be he only gripped me tighter.