And while Miles was rooted in his seat, surprised by the turn of events, the girl hopped back into the car and drove off.

He was uncertain whether to follow her, knowing she would surely lead him to her or approach Christopher instead.

That was until Miles glanced back at the house and saw the man who had also turned in time to spot him. More like sight his car.

The tinted windows were rolled up but Miles had a feeling Christopher had detected him just from the look he was throwing his way.

“Hopefully, you don't need help with a wheelchair, Dekker.” Christopher hollered at him.

Miles sighed when the fuming man whirled around and stormed back into the house.

Christopher had never appeared as the violent type to him but his stony features at that moment told Miles of an impending war.

He unbuckled his seatbelt and stepped out of the car. He locked it after him. Crossing over the neatly trimmed lawns, he trudged up to the front porch.

Miles received a gruff get your ass in before he could even knock. He huffed in annoyance and wended his way into the house.

From waxed wooden flooring to warm tropical Green walls that contrasted beautifully with ivory furnishings, the house had a casual elegance, very cozy and inviting.

But the man who stood beside the fireplace with his arms crossed over his chest, looked anything but friendly.

“Hi.” Miles began. “I heard about the wedding, congratulations.”

Christopher considered him for a moment. He had a million questions to ask Miles Dekker and a lot of savage things he wanted to do to the man. But a physical brawl with Dekker would only wake his little niece who was sound asleep in the next room.

And he couldn't have that.

“Thank you.” Christopher backed away from the fireplace and rounded the long couch, motioning for him to take a seat.

“I don't think you stopped by my house just to wish me well so let's cut to the chase, why are you here-”

The conversation was brought to a standstill when soft cooing sounds resonated in the house.

Miles's eyes darted around the room and fell on a small pink device on the coffee table where the sound seemed to be coming from. It was a baby monitor.

God, was it whom he was thinking?

He met Christopher's amused gaze but the latter did not sate his curiosity and strode out of the living room.

Miles shut his mouth and took a deep breath to calm his nerves.

It's just a tiny harmless human.

Shit. What if she was there? Miles glanced up when Christopher emerged in the living room with the little girl who had managed to steal his breath away prior to this chance-meeting.

The moment those big black eyes landed on Miles, he was up from the couch without even noticing.

Christopher might have caught onto his eagerness and sudden hesitancy because he walked over to him.

“Do you wanna hold onto her while I warm her milk?” he asked.

“Sure... of course.” Christopher laid his niece gently in her father's arms.

“In case you're wondering who she is, her name is Veliane Jae Dekker.” He added before strolling to the kitchen.

Incredulously, Miles looked down at the little being in his arms, his heart pounding by leaps as he held his daughter for the first time.