14: The Sink

e d i t e d

"HELP!" screamed Harry, Ron and Hermione over and over again. Their throats burned from the volume of their voices. It was ear-piercing and heart-breaking.

Harry's hands shook violently as he tried to get the broken sink off of her. He almost retched at the injury.

Anna's head was visibly cracked. Crimson blood was seeping quickly. Her long blonde hair became red, soaking in the pool of sickly red around her.

"The troll!" Ron said quickly.

Harry picked up the club on the ground. The troll lurched forward and the boy swung with all of his might, hitting the troll directly across the head. It let out a groan and fell to the floor...for real, this time.

"Nice-"

"No, it's not!" cried Hermione, in a sobbing heap on the floor next to Anna. "S-She's going to die-"

"HELP!" yelled Harry again. He had to ignore Hermione's harsh statement...Anna dying?

He never had even thought of such a thing. He could never think of such a thing. Anna was his other half, they were inseparable best friends. She was the epitome of life, full of strength and personality. It was unfathomable to imagine her life coming to and end, specially so young.

Finally, Dumbledore, McGonagall and Snape ran into the room. They all gasped immediately.

"O-Oh dear," whispered McGonagall as she took in the scene. "What happened?!"

Hermione cried even harder. The words came out in choked sobs. "I-It's my fault, Professor. I was in here when we should've been in the dorms and Anna came with to make sure I was okay...then Harry and Ron came...oh, it's all my fault!"

"Granger, the world doesn't revolve around you," said Snape bitterly, glaring at the poor girl.

"Severus," started Dumbledore solemnly, "carry her to the hospital wing. Minerva, we will follow shortly."

The potions master grimaced as he approached Anna. He slowly picked her small frame up, supporting her broken head to prevent more blood loss.

"You three, to your dorms, now!"

Harry stood up immediately. "No, we're coming with!"

"Potter, do you want a month's worth of detention?"

"I don't care!" he yelled. "I need to make sure she's okay, she can't die!"

"As if you could do anything," muttered Severus. "You three have caused enough problems for the night."

"Please, go to your dorms. We will keep you updated. You will be able to visit her soon," said Dumbledore softly, yet the frown still tugged at his lips.

The three decided against arguing and headed towards the dorms. Hermione was sobbing and Ron was in shock, yet he still had a comforting hand on the girl's back.

Harry, on the other hand, felt as if he would crumble. He had never felt fear and anxiety so great in his life.

"You guys go ahead," he said weakly. "I'm going to the Hospital Wing."

"You can't! You heard Professor Snape-"

"Hermione, let him go," muttered Ron. "Stay safe, mate. Let us know what happens."

Harry merely nodded and sprinted to the infirmary. He needed to get there quickly. Hopefully he could hear what was going on and know if she was okay.

As he approached the tall oak doors, he took in a deep breath. He was afraid of getting caught, but more afraid of seeing Anna's state. He stood on his tiptoes and peeked through the small window. He couldn't see much but luckily he could hear the conversation inside.

"Poppy," started McGonagall quickly. "What do you think?"

Madame Pomfrey was inspecting Anna's injury carefully. Deep lines were etched in her face from both concentration and concern. The blood had stopped, presumably with some help from magic.

She simply shook her head. "Oh dear...this is a nasty injury. I've fixed bones...but I've never fixed a skull. She's lost a lot of blood."

"Will she live?" asked Snape monotonously.

Silence filled the room. The nurse just checked the girl further. Harry's heart raced with every passing second...why was such a simple answer taking so long?

"Will she?" repeated Dumbledore.

Finally the nurse spoke. "Well, it's a fatal injury...I believe I can take care of it. She's alive for now."

"For now?!" asked McGonagall, exasperated.

Pomfrey immediately started working, frantically getting bandages and flasks of obscure potions out. "I need to work quickly...I'm afraid she may be in a coma, she's showing the signs of it. She may not come out of it, she may not live."

"Poppy-"

"Please, leave me to my work," she murmured. "I will keep you updated. Now out, all of you!"

The three adults started for the door and Harry scurried around the corner. He hid behind a statue out of sight from them.

Tears streamed down his cheeks as the traumatic scene played again and again in his head.

'Anna, please, you have to make it.'

~A section in which old inline comments and iconic lines are preserved, and you're allowed to make fun of my horrific writing~

"Oh no," Dumbledore said quietly.

^Dumbles be like "oopsies"

"What happened?" Snape asked with worry in his voice, which was very unusual for him.

^*cue everyone coming up with theories that he's the godfather*

"I..I was near.. The sinks... And she pushed me...o..out of t..the way," Hermione said, choking on sobs. I could feel my eyes tearing up.

"We have to get her to the hospital wing!" Madam Pomfrey said worriedly. Snape picked her up and all of us rushed to the hospital wing. He set her down on a bed.

^ew, I hate picturing this, I'm nOT a Snape fan

"I honestly don't know," Dumbledore said quietly.

^wow, thanks for the help, old man

"The sink hit her really hard and cracked her head open. She's in a coma, and she might not make it," Madame Pomfrey said sadly. My heart dropped in my stomach and I couldn't breath. I couldn't believe it. No, she had to live. She just had to.

^it's not like there's six more books or anything

Hey readers! I know, I'm so cruel. I have lots planned *grins evilly*. I hope you enjoyed it, because I loved writing it. What do you think will happen next? Will she come out of her coma? Will she die? Or do you have any other ideas? Please tell me in the comments! Thanks for reading, and if you haven't, check out my other awesome story called 'Me and the Marauders'!

^wow, I was so cute, not even able to comprehend what a real cliffhanger is. aLsO, yes, there originally was a prequel. it is in my drafts, will be rewritten, published after I finish this series, and will be called, "That Damn Dog" instead.