8: Magic Classes

e d i t e d

It was the first day of classes, but far too early for anyone to be awake. The sun's rays were just peeking through the curtains. Still, there was one girl up in the first year dorms.

Hermione Jean Granger.

Her hair was bushier than ever as she had just woken up. It was 5:30 in the morning. She had been training herself to wake up early in the weeks before her arrival, knowing she couldn't have any muggle technology like an alarm clock.

The girl looked around the room to everyone else who was still asleep. Her eyes caught on Anna, who was softly snoring. She had an arm around her kitten that was gazing up at Hermione with bright blue eyes, flecks of gold gleaming in the soft light.

"Hey, Anna," whispered Hermione, shaking Anna awake. The girl groaned and looked at her. "You need to get up, we're gonna be late for classes."

"What...it feels so early," she said groggily, giving a stretch causing Leah to hop down from the bed. The girl's eyes found the clock on the wall and she gasped. "Hermione...our classes are in TWO HOURS!"

The volume of her voice woke the others in the room, who groaned in annoyance of being disturbed from their slumber. Hermione just giggled and shrugged, "I like to be early, it's the first day after all."

Anna was actually quite annoyed at the girl. She barely even knew her, yet she was being woken up at the crack of dawn.

Hell, it took Anna 10 minutes to get ready and she was out the door.

But she knew she wasn't going back to sleep, so she decided to take a morning shower - which was way out of her routine - and look above acceptable as far as her appearance went.

On the other side of the Gryffindor Tower, the first year boys all woke up late, scrambling to get ready. Harry was trying to figure out how to properly assemble his outfit while Ron was cursing way too loud...his mother would have been ashamed.

Nonetheless, they all got ready early enough to get breakfast in the Great Hall. Ron and Hermione met Harry and Ron at the Gryffindor table. Anna laughed upon seeing Harry's attire.

"Do you not know how to tie a tie?" she asked with a chuckle.

Harry blushed and looked down at the sad knot he made. "Erm, I guess I never learned."

Anna sat next to him and slowly tied it herself. Her uncle had taught her and Violet when they were younger. She couldn't quite remember why, but she still remembered how.

She also attempted to fix his messy raven hair, and successfully managed to get a few sprigs down.

"Thanks," he said shyly, giving her a toothy smile. She returned it, nodding. Both of their cheeks were dusted pink.

"Oh, get a room you two!" Ron gagged before he shoveled a big forkful of eggs.

The four of them ate quickly and made their way to charms. All of the first years were nervous, especially those from muggle households. They had no clue what was about to happen, but they were excited to see real magic performed!

Anna was so nervous she wouldn't be good enough. What if she wasn't magical enough? She wasn't raised around it...the rumors from purebloods shook her. They were said to not have been as strong as those with purebloods.

Oh, but little did she know she was more powerful than some of the best wizards.

Luckily they made it to class on time. There was only one table open, and other scattered seats. It seemed as if many of the first years were too scared to sit at tables with people they didn't know.