7: The Sorting

e d i t e d

Harry and Ron sat in shock as Anna swam to the castle, beating the very slow-moving boats. The distance from the castle wasn't too far, and the ride was really for the aesthetic appeal, but Harry still was worried for her. How was she going to dry off? What if she got hypothermia? Would the others make fun of her?

"Anna's...kind of crazy, huh?" asked Ron from beside him, face scrunched in confusion.

Harry gave a weak chuckle. "Definitely...I don't think the candy helped."

A few minutes passed and they arrived to the shore. Anna was standing, shivering but forcing a smile as her two new friends came to greet her. "A-at least I beat you guys!"

"Bloody hell, you're drenched!"

"Wow, really? I had no idea, thanks!" she said, sarcasm dripping from her tone.

Hermione came over, shaking her head and rolling her eyes. "Now, how could you be so stupid to do such a thing? That water must be freezing...oh, no matter, I'll help...arificus!"

A small whirlwind formed around Anna. Warmth smothered her in a comforting way and she couldn't help but smile. She wasn't the only one, though, because the boys were giggling as Hermione tried to hold back. "What?"

The girl's formerly neat school clothes were wrinkled and out of order while her hair was one big tangled, frizzy mess, almost matching the absurdity of Hermione's.

Harry stepped forward and flipped her collar down. He attempted to sort out her hair, but Ron snorted from holding back laughter and he sheepishly stepped back. "I erm...you look fine, right Ron?"

"You look like a bloody mess!" He burst into fits of laughter but took a deep breath. "Um...you'll be fine! Looking messy is a new trend?"

Anna dramatically flipped her tangled hair and did a twirl before walking to the castle with the rest of the group. The others followed suit. Nervous chatter turned into gasps as the aspiring witches and wizards entered the castle that would soon become their home.

The castle was magnificent from the outside, but inside was a whole new world...the ceilings felt higher than the sky. The walls were made of stone, but every chunk has its own makings, its own personality. The stone-flagged floor felt magical beneath their feet. There were no muggle means of lighting, only candles and lanterns which made the halls glow with yellow warmth.

"Wow...better than Fred and George explained," gaped Ron, his blue eyes now saucers. "They said the whole place was a big dungeon...monsters everywhere...said one of them was named McGonagall-"

"Yes, Weasley, that's me," mumbled a woman in emerald-green robes, her flitting gaze harsh on the young boy. She went to the front of the group, standing tall and stoic. It was obvious she was not a woman to cross. "Hello students. I am Professor McGonagall. I am the Deputy Headmistress, Head of Gryffindor House, and I teach Transfiguration."

"Bloody hell, I can't believe my first impression was calling her a monster," whispered Ron, putting his head in his hands.

The woman's eyes narrowed, but as she was about to speak again, there was a croak and a voice called out, "Trevor!"

A toad sat before her and Neville ran, scooping him up. One look from the stern woman made him whimper and scramble to the back of the group yet again.

"Right, as I was saying...soon you will be sorted into your house. This will become your community for the next seven years. You will be sorted by both your personality and core values. The housed will compete for the house cup, awarded at the end of the year. Triumphs will earn you points while bad behavior will result in loss of points. Now, I have to speak with the headmaster quickly...wait right here."