Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

Sunlight streaming through the window woke Ance the next morning. Audrey's soft skin and lean body were pressed tight against his and they were tangled together in the hotel sheets. 

Ance looked down at her peaceful face as she breathed lightly against his bare chest. The sun shone on her freckled cheeks, and her full lips, still a bit red and swollen from his kisses, curved into the hint of a smile. Ance wondered what she was seeing in her dreams to cause that smile. 

Tracing his fingertips along the slight curve of her strong arms, Ance thought about the unexpected turn his life had taken. He'd always thought he'd live wild, free and roaming until one day he was taken down and his life ended... never had he thought he'd meet a little girl who would make him want to be a father and even less had he thought he'd ever meet a woman who made him want to settle down. 

Settle down... those two words scared the great Ansel Adams damn near to death. Could he be that man? Could he be a man who put down roots, stopped wandering, slept under roof every night and obeyed the law? Or would that life smother him? Would he eventually break, snap, and take off into the night breaking the hearts of the two women in the world he loved?

Ance would never ask Audrey to give up the ranch she'd worked so hard building, nor would he want Penelope living the life he lived... but could he adjust to theirs? Or would Audrey and Penelope simply be another stop he made during his wanderings until his life finally got snuffed out. 

That wouldn't be very damn fair to them. 

But since when did Ance care about the feelings of others? 

Since Penelope Reynolds and her mama had come into his life was the simple and complete answer to that question. 

Ance let out a slow breath and gently kissed Audrey's blond hair. She groaned lightly and her eyelids fluttered open. Ance looked down into those brown eyes and realized that maybe that wouldn't be such a bad sight to wake up to every morning from here on out. 

"Good morning," she whispered, curling her body closer against his. 

Ance smiled down at her. "Good morning....except it's closer to noon." 

Audrey's eyes widened as she looked toward the clock in the corner. "I have never laid in bed this long!" 

"You needed the rest," Ance assured her. "We both did." 

Audrey's teeth began nibbling at her pink bottom lip and Ance sighed. "What?" 

"I.. I don't want to rush you since I know you're healing but..." 

"You're ready to get back to Penelope?" 

Audrey smiled. "Yes. I miss her." 

Ance squeezed Audrey tight. "I miss her too and don't you worry none about me healing. I've been shot up worse than this before.. Hell I'm damn near good as new. I ordered some things at the mercantile yesterday. I'll go pick it up, get you a horse of your own and...." 

"Let's take a few days of rest before we leave, Ance. You said it will take about four or five days to reach Penelope, right?" 

Ance simply nodded. Audrey sighed. "I'm not up for that just now. I don't think you are either and I know your horse needs rest. I'd rather rest a bit and be feeling my best when I return to Penelope. I don't want her seeing us bruised, haggard and all stitched up." 

"Women.." Ance grumbled. "They never can make up their minds." As she glared at him and snuggled closer, Ance couldn't help but feel that there was something else behind her hesitation to leave. Was she sensing the end of their journey together the same as he was and attempting to prolong it?