Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Audrey's body hummed with anxiety as she finished singing Penelope a gentle lullaby and the girl drifted off to sleep. Audrey knew what tonight would hold. She couldn't quite believe that Ance had changed his mind and agreed to her term of faithfulness. She hoped he wasn't only lying to have his way, but honestly, Audrey didn't believe he would do that. Ance was too honest a man and she believed he meant what he had said. 

Which meant that tonight, Audrey would once again know the pleasure of being with a man. 

Sparing a quick glance at Ance on the other side of the fire caused Audrey's heart to pound and her mouth to suddenly go dry. Ance was watching her with a hunger and lust that stole her breath. Audrey knew her eyes echoed that same want. 

Penelope was sleeping soundly when Ance rose fluidly to his feet and motioned for Audrey to come to him. Audrey was certain that her stiff, jerking movements were the opposite of seductive as she walked around the fire to her waiting man. 

Ance reached out his large, calloused hand and smoothed a lock of her blond hair behind her ear. "How about we take that swim now?" 

Audrey could do little more than nod. Ance took her hand and led her through the moonlit shadows to the water's edge. The gentle roar of the waterfall filled Audrey's ears and drowned out the sound of her moan when Ance stooped low and tasted her lips. 

Audrey let herself get lost in his kiss just as she had so many nights ago. A low growl rumbled from Ance's chest and vibrated against her mouth. When his teeth nipped at her bottom lip, Audrey realized what he wanted and she eagerly deepened the kiss, plundering Ance's mouth with her tongue and warring for dominance over the outlaw. 

Ance's bearded face was rough against her tender skin but it only served to intensify the sensations coursing through her. Audrey's knees buckled and in response, Ance's hands circled her waist and hoisted her into the air so her legs here straddling his hips. 

The proof of the arousal she was lighting in him pressed against Audrey's legs and caused her to tremble. Nothing in her life had ever made her feel so powerful as to know the want and need she was able to ignite inside such a tough and deadly outlaw. 

Audrey was surprised by Ance's strength as he effortlessly carried her to an outcropping of rocks and sat down upon them, nestling her in his lap with her legs still straddling him. Audrey had always been a woman with a broad and strong build, equipped with more muscles than softness. She'd certainly never been the delicate type of woman that a man tended to carry...but with that one action, Ance made her feel small and purely feminine. 

"You taste like whiskey," Ance growled as he moved his lips to her ear before nipping and licking his way down her neck. 

"Whiskey?" Audrey breathlessly questioned.

Ance grunted and his blue eyes locked onto her brown ones as he nodded. "You burn me, lady."

Audrey tossed her head back and buried her hands in his thick brown hair as his hand brushed against her breast, teasing it to a hardened peak. Ance released his hold on her and swiftly undid the buttons of her blouse before tossing it aside. The cool night breeze chilled Audrey's skin and then she gasped when Ance tore her underclothes and shoved them aside, exposing her breasts to his hungry gaze. 

"Ance!" Audrey scolded. "These are my only underclothes!"

Ance grumbled under his breath and stooped his face low, letting his breath blow against her sensitive nipples. "Less I have to take off next time," he growled.