Chapter Thirty-Three

"While I appreciate ya savin' my arse back there, I'm forced to wonder the why of it since ya don't usually take to bustin' me out of jail in the middle of the night," Irish stated breaking the silence as the two men sat beside a small fire just after daybreak. 

Ance rubbed at his tired face. Damn, he was tired. He glanced at Irish and sighed. "I need your help." 

Irish's green eyes widened and he shook his head roughly before shoving his finger in his ear and rubbing. He frowned as he tilted his head and stared at Ance. "Either my hearin' is failin' me or you've been in the damn sun too long and aren't feelin' yerself at all. Did ya truly just ask me for help?" 

Ance rolled his eyes but he was too wore down and raw to engage in the usual back and forth banter with Irish. "Yeah, I did." 

Irish's amusement was replaced with concern. "What's the matter then, Ansel?" 

"They took her, Irish..." 

"Took who?" Irish demanded. "Wee Penelope?" 

"No...They took Audrey." 

"So ya did as I said then and went after the lasses. Who is it that took Audrey and where is Penelope? I know ya wouldn't leave the lass unprotected." 

Ance peered off into the sunlight and shook his head. "Penny is safe. I left her with your mama..." 

"My dear sweet mama. Tell me, did she chat your ear off about how much she loves her favorite son?"

Ance rubbed at his bearded cheek. "Something like that." 

"I'm glad to hear the lass is safe," Irish admitted. "Who is it that took Audrey, then, Ansel?"

"Barnaby," Ance growled. 

Irish hissed in a breath. "I don't like the thought of that kind and carin' woman bein' in the hands of a man like that one." 

Ance's fists clenched in the dirt and small rocks beside him and Ance let out a roar before throwing a handful of those rocks through the air. "For once in our lives we agree on something." 

Irish scooted back away a bit and a faint smile curved his lips. "It would seem I was right about the lass and her mama. You're in love, aren't ya, Ansel?" 

Ance just stared at the ground. He couldn't talk about emotions just now. His were far too raw. Irish sighed. "Why would he take your woman, Ansel? Is he that angry with ya?" 

"Of course he is. I hurt the bastard's pride. He killed Old Man Thompson, took Audrey and he would have taken Penelope too if her mama hadn't hidden her and kept her safe." Ance swallowed hard. "I have to get her back, Irish."

Irish patted Ance on the back and for the first time Ance didn't threaten the man's life for the contact. Truth was he needed the support just now. "O'course ya do, Ansel! I'm gonna help ya. What do ya need me to do?"

Ance rubbed at his tired face and sighed. "Help come up with a plan to get into that fort Barnaby's got himself holed up in. I'm not much of a planner." 

Irish's face lit up. "Ya just leave this to me, Ansel! If there's one thing this Irishman knows a bit about, it's makin' a plan to get exactly what it is he's wantin'." 

"I'm gonna catch a bit of sleep while you think things through," Ance mumbled, before stretching out on the hard ground and resting his head on his arm. 

His exhaustion outmatched his worry and Ance was quickly snoring. When he woke it was a little after noon and Irish hopped into his line of vision nearly instantly. "Ansel! I have it!"