Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The next day around noon, Ance was beginning to suspect that Penelope was not as quiet as she had seemed the first day they'd spent together. It seemed that the longer she was around him, and the more comfortable she became, the looser her jaw became. 

Ance was half tempted to gag her again. 

"And so then I had a kitty and a puppy and they were friends, so when people say that dogs and cats don't like each other, that's just not true. My puppy is named Sunshine and my kitty is Blackey because she is solid black. Even her eyes are so dark brown they are nearly black. Mama says....." 

"Here," Ance grunted before shoving the rim of the canteen into her mouth. "Drink, you must be thirsty." 

Penelope downed several big swallows as Ance figured up just how much longer it would take to reach that orphanage in Briggston. At his count it would be four days... four very very very long days. 

"Can we stop for a while?" Penelope asked with a sigh. "My leg hurts and it's hot." 

Ance glanced up at the noonday sun and nodded. Stopping was probably a wise choice until later in the evening when the sun wouldn't bake them quite so badly. He pointed his mare toward a grove of maples and slid off her back. 

Gently, Ance lifted Penelope from the saddle and sat her on her feet. The girl swayed for a moment as she struggled to gain her balance on her weak leg and Ance patiently held her steady until he was certain she could stand alone. 

He was pleased that her leg didn't seem to be as stiff and immovable today and she wasn't in as much pain as she had been the day before. Ance was learning that she needed to stretch it out several times a day in order to keep the more painful kinks worked out. 

"Ance, can I ask you something?" Penelope asked once the two of them were relaxing under the shade of a tree and munching on more of Ance's stolen cookies. 

"You ain't stopped jawing all day... it'd be a miracle if you stopped now." 

Penelope giggled and adjusted her tattered skirt around the brace on her leg. "Where are you taking me?" 

Ance took a drink of water and handed her the canteen. "Briggston." 

"What's in Briggston?" Penelope asked before putting the canteen to her lips. 

"An orphanage that'll have room for a little girl," Ance replied. He pulled out his gun and began spinning the cylinder slowly. 

Penelope watched his movements with curiosity as it was clear her mind was working hard. "An orphanage?" 

"Yeah." Ance put his gun away and pulled his hat down over his face as he stretched out and folded his hands on his lean stomach. "A place for youngins that don't have mamas." 

Penelope shook her head, "I have a mama!" she exclaimed. "My mama's name is Audrey and she loves me and is missing me!" 

"She gave you to that bastard that had ya, Penelope," Ance reminded her with a growl as he pushed up his hat. 

"No she didn't!" Penelope argued, her full cheeks turning red with anger and her brown eyes filling with tears. "My mama loves me!"

Ance grumbled as he shoved himself to his feet and glared down at her. He wasn't fully aware of his movements as he ran his hand over the jagged scar that ran the length of his left cheek. "Mama's don't love their children, Penelope, not in real life." 

With that Ance stomped away and plopped himself down beside a rock a good hundred yards from where he'd left that pain in the ass little girl and her delusions about mothers.