Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen 

Audrey felt her blood freeze in her veins. Rodger? He was alive and in that wagon? What if he had heard her voice? 

Dammit! No, Audrey wouldn't be afraid of him. That man had nearly cost her her daughter--she would get into that wagon and finish the job she had thought she'd completed at their campsite!

Audrey made a step toward the wagon but was stopped when Penelope's grip tightened on her hand. Audrey remembered then that her daughter was with her and they were in the middle of town with witnesses. Her next move would have to wait. 

Audrey glanced at Ance and realized he was studying her carefully. He then turned his attention back to the young man driving the wagon. "I've heard of him. Real jackass if you ask me but, then again, I never have been too fond of the law. How the hell he get burned up?"

The young man shifted on the seat and shrugged. "He was traveling with a woman and somehow they got separated. I guess he was looking for her when he tripped and fell into his own campfire. He wanted to keep looking, was desperate to really, but I told him he had to get himself took care of first--then he came down with this fever."

"Did he say her name?" Audrey asked quickly, thanking her lucky stars that Penelope had been too upset over Ance leaving and nearly being trampled to hear the man say Rodger's name. "Did he say the woman's name?"

The man frowned as he appeared to think deeply for a moment and then he nodded. "A Miss Reynolds is all he said, ma'am." 

Audrey felt her stomach roll. Penelope sniffed. "That's your name, mama." 

Ance stepped forward and swatted one of the horses on the rump gently. "You should be getting him to the medicine man. We'll be on our way now. And slow down from now on, will ya?" 

"Sure thing," the young man tipped his hat and then continued on his way. 

"Are you still leaving, Ance?" Penelope whispered shakily. 

Audrey once again had that sensation of being a small creature caught in the trap of a large predator as Ance studied her carefully. "Not just yet," he finally replied. "I think your mama and I got a few more things we need to talk about." 

***

Ance caught Irish by the arm just before the man entered the saloon a little before noon. "Where you going, you damn drunkard. It's not even noon yet." 

"Aye, I know how to tell time, Ansel. I was merely goin' to have a chat with the bartender about the bit of rheumatism that's been plaguing his bones. I think my elixir might be just the thing he needs." 

Ance snorted. "Yeah, and once he's done sippin' that horse piss he'll need a pine box." 

"Ya speak such poetry, Ansel," Irish grinned and threw him a wink. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" 

Ance rolled his eyes at the man and nodded toward the hotel. "Go stay with Penny while her mother and I have a talk." 

Irish waggled his brows. "Are ya sure it's a talk ya plan on havin'?" 

Ance smacked the Irishman in the back of the head. "Yeah, I'm sure," he grumbled. "There's something going on that I intend to get to the bottom of." 

"I don't know if I have what it takes to watch a wee child," Irish admitted. "I'm not much more than one myself." 

"I'll buy you a jug of whiskey if you'll watch Penny. And I'll buy you two and spare you a bullet to the head if she's safe and sound when I get back," Ance offered.