A Morning of Unfortunate Events

Morning arose far too soon for Darla’s liking.

            How long had she even slept? It couldn’t have been more than two hours before her body was being shaken violently, someone’s breath molten hot in her ear.

            Her eyes flew open, sending her crashing down to the scarred, bloodstained ground. Dreamland’s grip loosened and reality sunk in.

            Today was the day they ventured out to the Crystal Temples. There, they’d first attempt to get in-if Darla could ever solve that infuriatingly vague code. If they succeeded, they would have to both fight off Wreckers who had surely taken up force and find a way to rescue Fern, who was being held hostage there. If the gang got lucky, maybe they could discover the whereabouts of the Shadow Master and the Spirit Sword.

            “Good morning,” Audessa simpered, removing her hand which was clamped over Darla’s shoulder. “Sleep well?”

            Darla grimaced, surveying the young Pegasi princess. Even in the early hours of morning, she was earth-shatteringly beautiful. Her eyes, a vibrant blue ringed with a deep yellow gold, illuminated her rosy, alabaster skin. The golden curls that sprung from her head were neat and tidy, showing no signs of having slept in a cramped tent on a flat mat.

            “What time?” Darla managed to get out, her throat sore. She groggily swiped at the crust forming around her eyes, blinking rapidly.

            Audessa was the only one still in the tent-Ruby, Cecily, and Wren must have already left to start the day.

            “Around eight in the morning,” Audessa replied. “The others got up an hour ago, but we decided to let you sleep in. You looked exhausted.”

            “I am,” Darla grumbled. But she knew she didn’t have a choice. It would be lovely to remain here, shrouded by scraggly woolen blankets and lumpy pillows, but there was a war to be fought.

            The two girls left the tent, instantly drenched by warm honey sunlight beaming down from the cloudless blue sky above. The forest was still as rich and green as ever, showing no sign of any strife happening last night.

            “You’re finally up.”

            Darla looked over to see the one person she needed most. Hugo. She could see the deep burns etching his dark skin and the long line of bloodied cuts running down his lean arms, but he was alive. Marisse was brilliant.

            “You…you’re alright,” was all Darla managed to whisper, trying to keep her voice strong and confident.

            Hugo smiled-just a tiny flicker of a thing, barely making a dent in his battered face, which still managed to bear some of his old rugged good looks.

            “Can I say the same for you?” he asked, examining her closely. Darla winced. She was better off, but was still left with quite severe injuries from last night’s endeavors at the Barricade Cove, home of vicious, bloodthirsty devils.

            She nodded quickly. “Don’t worry about me. Where’s Slate?”

            “Down at the creek with the others catching fish for breakfast,” he replied. “I tried warning him that it was unsafe to go with Wreckers out prowling for the last essence, but he ignored me.”

            Darla gritted her teeth in anger. How did Slate not understand what important a role he played in saving the world? If the Wreckers found him, they’d steal his essence, bring it to the Shadow Master, and start the Final Fire. They needed to protect Slate at all costs, but Darla had a sinking feeling that all their defenses would be pointless. She had heard what the astral projection of Laurel had said. She couldn’t stop the Shadow Master. It was pure, raw evil, hell-bent on destroying everything anyone treasured.