A Friend in Riley

Start from the beginning

I smiled, happy to see Riley and Carter and their father/son bond. It made me think of how it might be with me and Jessica's upcoming child.

We checked in and my phone went off.

"Hello?"

"Hi baby," my mom greets.

"Hey ma, what's up?"

"I was just checking on you. Are you on your way?"

"Yes mom, me and my friend Riley are at the airport now."

"You're bringing a friend?" She asks. I could tell she had a bit of an attitude cause I was bringing someone.

"Yea. His baby mama lives in Woodcrest so he gon take his son to see her."

"Oh okay. How come you didn't bring Jessica?"

"She sings for JEC now. She has performances all week."

"Oh okay. I guess I'll see her next time then."

"Boarding flight 698."

"We're about to start boarding the plane, mama. I'll see you in a few."

"Okay baby. Fly safe and I love you."

"Love you too, ma."

We board the plane, Carter resting in Riley's lap getting ready to go to sleep.

"He sleeps a lot," I chuckled.

"Yea, this lil nigga lazy as hell. But I be forgetting he got 6 kids, 3 jobs, and stresses about bills," Riley says sarcastically. I chuckled. "Yo mama seem excited to see you."

"Yea, it's been a few years since I've seen her."

"You should try and see her more often." I looked over at Riley. He wasn't looking at me, but his face was serious. "You never know when the last time you gon see her. So see her as much as you can before it's too late."

Riley must've been referring to how he can never see his mother again. None of the Freemans talked about her, and Jessica always said it was a really touchy subject to them.

"I will," I tell him. There was a silence. The only noise was the buzz from the plane's air conditioner. The flight attendant came by with the little food cart and started passing food and drinks around. 

"Peanuts?" She asked and handed Riley two bags of peanuts. He handed one to me and I gave him a look.

"What?"

"I hate peanuts."

"Really?" Riley asked.

"Peanuts are disgusting. Salty bastards. Them shits taste like nut sacks."

"How you know what balls taste like?" Riley raises a brow.

"Ask Cindy," I smirked and Riley punched my arm.

"Shut yo dumb ass up."

We both laughed.

"You know what's weird?" I asked. 

"Wassup?"

"Jessica and Jada are best friends and you and I are best friends."

"How's that weird?" I knew Riley's slow ass wouldn't get it.

"That's yo sister. Jessica is my girlfriend...." My voice trailed, hoping Riley caught what I was saying. After a few seconds, Riley finally went,

"Ohhhhhhh. Nigga you lame."

I rolled my eyes. Why did I fuck with this dude?

We landed not too long after and Riley picked up Carter who was now up and we got off the plane. I grabbed our stuff while Riley called Cindy to let her know he was dropping off Carter.