- 7 -

"ALEXANDER HAMILTON, RIGHT?"

Alex turned around to face the redheaded Schuyler sister.

"Yeah," he smiled, his cheeks suddenly lighting up like a lighthouse.

She smiled warmly, extending her hand.

"I never properly introduced myself. I'm Elizabeth Schuyler, but most people call me Eliza."

"Alex, but you already knew that," Alex answered, shaking her hand.

"Alex," Eliza repeated, nodding to herself as she almost tasted the name, "that's a nice nickname."

"Thanks," Alex grinned, "my friend James came up with it."

"Madison?" Eliza frowned.

"No, not that James," Alex shook his head, quickly stuffing his Maths books into his bag and swinging the bag onto his back, "James Rhodes, a friend of mine from the school I went to before the one before this one."

"Before... you've been to three different schools?"

"Yeah," Alex grimaced.

I was expelled from those and more.

He'd been able to say it so casually to Laurens, Lafayette and Hercules, but for some reason he couldn't force the words out of his mouth now. Expelled from multiple schools? She'd think him an idiot, probably.

"Alex?" Eliza enquired.

"Sorry, did you say something?" Alex enquired, "I was lost in thought for a moment there."

"I asked what subject you have next," Eliza repeated.

"Nothing," Alex answered, "my next lesson is Politics, after first break. I have a free hour now."

"Me too!" Eliza grinned, "do you want to go sit in the cafeteria? We could walk there together."

"Um... sure!" Alex decided, shooting a glance to Herc and Laf's empty seats. They'd stormed out of the Maths classroom the moment the bell had rung, as usual, and Laurens had left to History classes.

"Great," Eliza smiled, her eyes sparkling as they walked out of the classroom and into the passage side by side. They'd barely walked ten meters when they were interrupted.

"Hey, Pepper!"

Alex closed his eyes at Jefferson's voice.

Great. Just great.

"Yes?" Eliza enquired, spinning around to face Jefferson.

Did she... did she just?

"What? I wasn't talking to—"

"What do you want, Thomas?"

Alex opened his eyes, turning around to see the one and only Thomas Jefferson standing in the doorway to the Maths classroom.

"Nothing," Jefferson grumbled, "I'll see you in the cafeteria, Virginia."

A satisfied smirk crossed Eliza's lips as she turned back to Alex, and they continued walking.

"Hey... um... thanks," Alex thanked her.

"It was nothing," Eliza dismissed the matter with a wave of her hand, "Thomas isn't a jerk, he just pretends to be. But sometimes he needs to be shown that there's a limit to how far he can go."

"So, can I call you Pepper now?" Alex enquired cheekily.

"If you want," Eliza shrugged, "I've had worse nicknames."