- 2 -

THE FIRST THING THAT ALEXANDER NOTICED UPON WALKING INTO the Chemistry lab was the various ages of the students around the room. He saw a small bouncing kid who could barely be fifteen messing around with something sticky, next to a tall young woman who was probably 21 or so that was meticulously adding a few drops of something yellow to some amount of something blue.

"So... today is Monday," Laurens grinned, "Experiment Day. We have theory on Wednesday and Thursday, but today you can basically do whatever you want."

"You mean... anything?" Alex frowned.

"Yeah," Laurens nodded, putting on a lab coat and a pair of safety goggles, and handing one of each to Alex, "you can help me with my experiment, if you like. Or you could take a look around and see what everyone else is doing first."

Alex looked around the room, seeing a poof of green smoke billow into the air somewhere.

"I think I'll take a look around," he smirked, putting his books down next to Laurens' bag and donning the lab coat and goggles.

"Okay," Laurens nodded, "go ahead, I'll see you later."

He disappeared, and Alex stood still for a moment, trying to decide where to go to first. He could see Burr dropping a white flower into some acid in a far corner of the room, and decided to leave him alone and try someone new.

He walked up to the source of the puff of green smoke instead - the tall young woman he'd noted earlier.

"Hi."

She turned around quickly, a frown on her face. The green liquid in the test tube she was holding sizzled dangerously, and she scowled, but didn't say anything.

"So... um... hi again."

"What do you want?"

"Whoa, I just came to say hello."

"Some people prefer to be left alone when working on experiments."

"Wow, someone's never satisfied."

She narrowed her eyes.

"I don't know what you mean."

"I mean, like me! I'm never satisfied either."

She raised both eyebrows.

"Is that right?"

"Yeah... it um.... it is."

"My name is Angelica Schuyler," she answered.

"Alexander Hamilton," Alex smiled.

"Where are you from?"

"Unimportant," Alex shrugged, "what are you working on?"

"Reproducing one of Benjamin Franklin's lesser known experiments."

"Cool."

He sensed that the conversation had come to a halt, and moved on to the little younger student next to her, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Laurens.

"Hi!" the boy greeted him, "you're new, aren't you?"

"Yeah," Alex grinned, "my name's Alexander."

"My name is Phillip! I am a poet. And I wrote this poem just to show it."

"Hey, that's a pretty neat poem."

"Thank you very much," Phillip bowed, "rhyme gives everything a finishing touch."

"What are you working on?"

"Um... it's top secret. But if you like, you can know! You're not allowed to tell anyone, though..." he lowered his voice at the last line, and Angelica rolled her eyes.