Knight of Converse - Chapter twenty three

Start from the beginning

I interrupted Kellie’s babbling with abruptness. “Misty’s gone, I think—”

“Erm, what do you think you’re doing?”

I ignored Kellie, and continued on, the look on Duran’s face told me that he too was suspecting something strange. “The ground, look, fog,” I pointed down.

Kellie rolled her eyes. “That’s dry ice, stupid!”

“Do you mind giving us a minute here?” I shot at her. “This is important.”

“Whatever Sol, you damn drama queen. Why you trying to ruin my night?”

“Newsflash, Kellie! It isn’t always about you!”

Thunder screamed and Kellie jumped closer to Duran. “Okay, that’s just freaking scary now—and will you scram, short stuff? We’re enjoying our date.”

“Kellie,” Duran tried to reason, but she held her hand up and shook her head.

“No way am I being ditched right now! This is my night—” she instantly shut up as the power cut. The room was cloaked in pitch blackness.

I started to panic. “Misty?” I called out, but there was too much noise in the room from everyone’s protests. “Misty!”

She was nowhere to be found.

“Sol? What is happening?” Duran asked and then made a weird sound. “The portal…” he muttered. “I feel it…”

“Morgasa,” I whispered.

“Morgasa?” Duran repated roughly. “What of her?”

“They’ve got Misty!”

Duran grabbed my hand and pushed through the crowd until we burst into the foggy night. The entire street was lined with thick fog rising up from the crowd. We both sprinted to the nearest car, and I spelled it to open. I jumped into the driver’s seat, and the engine flew to life. I stomped the car into gear and sped towards the forest. Back to where it all began.

“What say you of Morgasa?” Duran exclaimed.

“She’s here… almost… it’s the crack! The crack in time, she found it!”

“And the beasts are here?” I nodded fervently. “On my life, I will let nothing touch you.”

“You don’t need to worry about me,” I told him furiously, and slid the car into a stop. “That bitch should be worrying though.”

We ran into the forest. I felt the intense concentration of magic singing loudly in the wind, felt it tracing back to exactly where we needed to be. I saw flashes of light in the distance and a whirlwind of stormy wind blowing the trees violently. Misty’s scream echoed in the air, and Duran, who was already ahead of me sprinted even faster and soared into action as we approached the arch. The portal was bubbling, light bursting out of it sharply. Already there were demonic soldiers awaiting their leader, and began to attack as soon as they sensed our presence.

Duran withdrew Excalibur with speed, slashing his way through towards where Misty was being held hostage. I felt an icy whoosh spread down to my fingertips, and then I knew right now was time to let it free.

I tapped into my dark source.

Curses and hexes flew from my tongue faster than ever before. I felt my hair rising like snakes as I ran into the commotion. The monsters were set alight left right and centre. The wind picked up violently. Duran reached Misty pulling her free from the demon that held her down, she ran over to me, with cuts all over her arm.