Chapter Four.

Chapter four.

A bright light shone straight through my closed eyelids, waking me up from the dead. A soft groan escaped my lips as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, looking around me briefly I could see my small bag still by the door where Ethan had left it and the food trey, not empty, still on my desk. Oh god, I had fallen asleep! How could I, Stacey was expecting me to come down!

I rushed my way to the bathroom, deciding that I needed a good shower. I rid myself of my clothes and stepped under the shower head, I was surprised to find hot water pouring over me when I turned the faucet. Every muscle in my rigid being eased, my brain cleared up and I couldn’t help but close my eyes in relaxation, this was all new to me. I went to grab the soap bar to wash my hair when I saw some white bottles in a basket hung on the wall near the shower head. Curious, I went ahead and grabbed one of them, Shower Gel it said. I had no idea what that was but after reading how to use it I learned that it went on the body, I also learned that the other bottle was Shampoo which was supposed to wash my hair.

After my amazing shower, I braided my hair to the side and brushed my teeth. I then proceeded to put on an old pair of jeans, a t-shirt that had a few holes at the bottom and my famous sneakers. When I was semi satisfied with my appearance I made my way down the stairs to see that the kitchen was to my right.

"Good morning sunshine! You bailed on me last night, did you not like the food?" Stacey chirped, how could someone carry that much joy?

"Im so sorry Ms. Stacey, I just fell asleep after that wonderful meal" I rushed my comical, pathetic excuse hoping that the only person who bothered to be nice to me wasn’t upset. To my surprise she laughed at my nervousness whole heartedly.

"Oh honey its okay, the tour can wait why don’t you come with me while I have Marie fix you some breakfast."

"I get breakfast too?" I thought I would be living here the same way I had lived before. Only one meal a day.

"Of course you do!" She smiled at me yet I could see the sadness that hooded her brown eyes.

I didn’t argue with her as she tugged me by the arm into the kitchen ushering for me to have a seat on the marble counter. The grey marble felt cold against my fingers, now that I think about it, this house seemed empty almost deserted. There was this silence that made the air uneasy and unwelcoming. Did Ethan live here alone? Other than Stacey and this Marie of course.

The sound of a plate being placed in front of me snapped me away from my thoughts. An elderly woman around the age of 40 gave me a small smile and turned to walk away.

"Thank you." I called after her before she left which made her stop in her tracks. She didn’t reply instead she turned around and gave me another smile, this time flaunting her straight white teeth.

The sound of heavy footsteps behind me made my breath hitch in my throat. That familiar yet haunting smell of perfume made my nose tingle; Ethan.

Completely ignoring my presence, he made his way to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of what looked like orange juice. Taking out two empty glasses that looked like they were barely used, he poured the juice into the cups and set the bottle back in the fridge. He made his way over to the counter and sat down in a stool that was two to the left of mine. He slid one glass of juice towards me and I watched it until it stopped right next to my hand; he had a nice shot.

"Eat." Were the only words that left his mouth before he took his juice and today's news paper from the counter and retreated to where he came from.

I finished my food and juice in record time not realizing how hungry I was until I took the first bite of the delicious pancakes. Just when I had swallowed the last bite, I was yet again joined by Stacey.