Part 14

A whole month and a few weeks had passed since everyone had found out about your relationship with Steve and Bucky, and things were great. Of course there was some teasing from your friends (mostly Sam), but it was all in good fun, until Bucky got bored and threw something at whoever it was.

Although everyone was very happy for the three of you, you were yet to confirm any suspicious the media had. You didn't see why your life had to be displayed like that, you were three people in love, not the latest gossip. Tony did everything in his power to keep the media coverage on the low but people talk and rumours start.

Since the whole 'Mr Smith' thing, he hasn't been able to stop thinking about your dad and that damn accident that cost him his life. If only he'd made sure it was perfect... Well, only if he knew what had been the problem but- he'd gone over everything from that day. His blueprints (that looked fine), his notes, your dad's notes, other technicians' notes, footage... He still couldn't work out; how it happened and why?

Tony sighed as he ran his hand over his face. He needed to find out who was trying to hurt him, before they hurt you. He'd been over everyone's background that worked with your father. He looked into every little thing from grieving widows and children to local shop owners... Nothing. Everyone who was involved was asked to sign a contract that made sure they never spoke of anything they worked on and from what he and FRIDAY had managed to find so far, no one knew anything they shouldn't.

"I thought we agreed to let the agents work on this?" you let out a small giggle as you watched Tony jump slightly. "Sorry. Didn't mean to startle you." you said as you entered the lab.

Tony shook his head as he let out a small sigh, looking up from the stack of papers on his desk. "We are."

You raised your eyebrow as you picked up a random piece of paper. "Looks like it." you hummed. "So, go on, what have you found?" you asked as you jumped up onto his desk beside him.

Tony let out another big sigh before turning to look at you. "Nothing." he shrugged. "Absolutely nothing. FRIDAY has been through everything and anything linked to the project your dad was working on and, well, nothing."

"What about background checks?" you asked.

He nodded again picking up a piece of paper. "Everyone who was to be involved, had one. We chose those that had no family, you know, no spouse, no children - those that did, were told of the accident. They were looked after-"

"You mean you paid them off." you corrected, making Tony roll his eyes.

"It wasn't so much as a pay off but, I wanted to make sure they were looked after." he frowned as he looked down at his desk. "Now what?"

"Now-" you let out a deep sigh as you looked at Tony. His brow was creased as he slumped over his desk, his shoulders tense as he tapped his foot in frustration against the desk leg. "Now, we forget all this for a night and attend the party we're already late for." you smiled down at him.

Tony let out a deep sigh as he nodded. "Fiiiiine, if I have to."

"Yes, you do." you laughed as you took Tony's outstretched hand and jumped off the desk. "Thank you. Now, here,-" you turned round and handed him his suit you'd sorted for him, knowing all too well he'd forget. "-go put this on. We'll be upstairs." you smiled briefly, pressing a quick kiss to Tony's cheek before leaving the lab.

Tony smiled to himself as he watched you leave. Not only did you look after his old ass but you looked absolutely beautiful in your long grey dress and heels. Every time he looks at you, he thinks you look more and more like your mother.

----------

You stood to the side of the room and watched the others 'mingle' with the other guests. For once it wasn't a Tony party but a charity function you had to attend to try and mend some fences. You know, same old same old; Avengers risk their butts fighting aliens but get shouted at for breaking a few things in the process.