Chapter 11

LAUNCE

I opened my mouth to speak but then I feel Frele kick me in the shin. That shouldn't be enough to shut me up pero I understand that in order for my parents to trust her, with the current situation, dapat siya yung mag-explain.

Her eyes... are speaking numerous emotions. Anxiety, stress, embarrassment, and... determination? I fought the urge to raise an eyebrow. I don't understand where's it coming from. That determination. But also, maybe I do. Desperation can push you to act on different lengths.

Good thing na hindi sila naka-focus sa akin, or they might see that I'm staring at Frele. Not staring in that way, just staring to see if she needs my help. But I also don't mind getting caught since it will give them the impression na concerned ako para sa kanya. Am I really? Still, I'm the one who dragged her in this affair. I should do my share to look out for her.

More importantly, my parents are difficult to handle in confrontations. They are used to it. Especially mon père. I'm hoping na sana they won't pull the rug from under. And that means either taking or keeping her best friend away from her.

I snap out of my thoughts when I heard her clear her throat. You can do it, slowpoke.

FRELE

It took me awhile to gather my courage and prepare myself. I didn't hesitate to kick mayabang in the shin when I saw him attempting to speak on my behalf. No more. I keep my eyes away from looking at him. I have to do this myself. I have to do this for myself.

And now, everyone is looking at me, expectantly. Well, maybe not all. Definitely not all. I try to convince myself that. I can feel his stare but I didn't glance, even one bit. Baka mag-leave yun ng impression na afraid ako. Afraid na malaman ito ni Launce, or something like that. Dahil, first and foremost, I don't know what expression is sitting on my face right now. But I have to do this.

I cleared my throat. It feels like grinding two stones, two rough stones together. Awful. Gusto ko iminon ng tubig but I didn't reach for a glass. No. I have to make this convincing. For me. For me and mayabang, kahit na hate na hate kong i-admit yun.

"I'm sorry but as far as I remember, me and Nikolas are childhood best friends and nothing more. Alright, maybe to the point that we treat each other as siblings, but that's just it. Although, I vaguely remember that we made a sort of promise in the past about getting married. But I was only 9 at that time, Nikolas was 10. We thought that marriage will be the only thing that will keep us friends forever," sabi ko sa kanila. "We have stayed in contact over the years but we didn't talk about it. I even forgot that promise. It was nothing more but a vow made when we still didn't understand anything."

I took a deep breath. Hindi pa ako tapos mag-explain, or will the next words be considered an explanation? More like, para ma-convince ko sila.

"In addition, I already have a fiancé," I look at mayabang. Damn him, he's smirking. "And this is a choice that I made with full understanding and preparedness. I want..." I paused. Oh fuck! Ibabaon ko ang sarili ko six feet below the ground after this. "I want him." Shit! I'm blushing, aren't I? "I want him in a lot of ways. Please don't make me elaborate."

I can feel it. Ang init ng mukha ko. I'm going to kill him. I'm going to kill me. I'm going to kill us both. Ako nga lang siguro yung mauuna. No! Dapat siya muna para sigurado. Then ako. But right now, I really feel like dying. Anyone, save me!

"Don't worry, sunshine. I already know what you are talking about." Launce winked at me. Fuck him! No! Not that fuck! Please wipe me out from the face of the earth!