News

Brrrrrrrrreeeeee! The 7:00 alarm bells were crashing in my ears with enough persistence to try the patience of angels. I scowled as I flailed my arm towards the irksome noise. Slowly ascending from the soft sheets, I planted a gentle kiss on Elizabeth's forehead. I padded about the house, doing my morning routine.

Before I poured out my Raisin Bran, I bent over with a groan to scoop up the pile of mail I stepped over upon entering the house last night and flipped through the advertising. I spotted the bills and noticed an envelope marked with a US Coat of Arms. My eyes widened and my brows furrowed as I set down the bills. Presently, the envelope was the only thing cradled in my hands.

I slid my thumb along the sealed top of the envelope and shakily slipped the letter out. I quickly skimmed through the paragraphs, fixing on words and phrases that terrified me. By the end of the letter, my hands were shaking with nerves. I rushed to the bedroom as stealthily as possible to avoid disturbing Daniel.

"Elizabeth. Liz, darling." I stroked her long, black locks behind her ear and rocked her gently. "This is important, dear. Wake up."

She let out a slight moan and crinkled her eyes. "That's it Liz. Open your eyes." She did as I commanded, one eye at a time. When she saw the crease in my eyebrows and tight line of a mouth, she fully awoke.

"James? What's the matter, love?"

I sucked in a quick, shaky breath as I gave her the letter. Her forehead grew more and more creased as she continued to read.

"No...", she uttered, "The war? You're being drafted for the war?"

I nodded with solemnity. "They chose my birthday first. September 14th. There's no escaping service." She threw herself into my arms and wept. Her chest heaved as she drew in air while her whole body shuddered upon despondent exhalation.

A youthful cry crescendoed from across the hallway. I left my lamenting love laying on the loft. I swept to my son's bedside and cradled his weeping mass in my arms. They suspended him in the still air as he was carried to his mother. Gazing at the huddled pair, my heart lurched. I joined them in their sorrow, pitying not only me, but them too. What would they do without me?

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and don't forget to vote if you liked the emotion!

Much love, Sophie <3