A New Home

I pulled into the clearing in the woods onto the plot of untouched land that I had purchased. I looked at the budding plants and smelled the spring air of a new January in 1963.

I had made Elizabeth close her eyes for the last 1/4 mile and when she sensed the car slowing, she asked, "James, dear, are we here?"

"Yes, now carefully get out of the car and keep your eyes closed." She tilted her head and presented a half-smile once she had done as told. I was grinning as I led her out, and once I was ready, I whispered in her dainty ear, "Okay, open your eyes." As I uncovered her eyes, she saw a beautiful green forest. I saw the future of a cabin that I would build for her. I told her these dreams of a home as I swaddled her pregnant belly, spooning her and gently swaying the two of us from side to side.

I described these things to her and she began to melt further into my arms. We shared a grin, full of home and love just before her soft lips met mine.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Months passed and the cabin slowly came into existence, log by log, brick by brick. During the build, we stayed in a motel in the closest town.

My child was born just as the frame was finished. We named him Daniel. He was a beautiful baby boy who I should have loved with all my heart.

Finally, in 1964, it was complete and ready to be furnished. When I was showing her the land those months and months back, it was decided that Elizabeth would do all of the decorating. She had a keener eye for style than me, anyway.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Thank you so much for reading this quick chapter. Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it!

Much love, Sophia <3