"Oh um--- I-I might have to work late," She mumbled as if she really didn't have a choice.

I broke a smile and quickly masked it when she looked up at me, "Don't worry about that, okay? Just say yes." I said to her.

She looked up at me through her eyelashes, swaying her body in a giddy motion. "I-I would l-like that." She blushed at what she realised she just said. "I mean--- I guess, i-if you're sure." She quickly added.

I smiled at her adorableness.

We stood in silence for a while before I blurted out, "You look pretty today."

Pretty? Who the fuck says pretty, I scolded myself.

"Not that you don't look pretty every day." I said, quickly scratching the back of my neck.

She looked down at her attire and cringed before muttering a quick thanks as a blush coated her cheeks.

Once again, we were surrounded by the thick tension.

"I'll be— downstairs if you need me." I said.

She nodded as she looked up.

"Oh um, c-can I have Kace's number? I-I need to talk to him." She mumbled embarrassingly. "And a phone, if you don't mind."

My hand rested on the door knob, my eyebrows furrowing in the process, "But didn't you have his number?" I inquired.

"Yeah but," She pauses. "He probably still has it b-blocked." Her voice trembled.

My gaze softened as I looked at her, "If you want, I could just let him come over so you could talk about it in person."

"Really?" She looked hopeful. "Thank you." She said shyly as a giddy smile took over her face as she looked down.

"So— eight o'clock?" I inquired.

She blushed, "Yeah."

I let out a sigh of relief, hoping that she didn't catch it.

"See you tomorrow then?" I questioned.

Of course you'll see her before tomorrow, you stupid fucker.

She nodded her head and I gave her a smile before quickly scurrying out of the bedroom and shutting the door.

"Oh fuck," I breathed out as I leaned my back against the door and ran a hand through my hair.

That took a lot a shit out of me. I felt like a fucking high school boy again asking a girl on my first date.

Why the hell is my heart beating so fast?

—---

"Get your ass over here, Ophelia wants to talk to you." I said into the phone.

I heard shuffling on the other end before Kace speaks, "For real? Well— can Elijah come too? I was just in a meeting with him." He asked.

I hummed my agreement before speaking, "Just hurry, don't keep Ophelia waiting." And with that, I hung up the phone.

I failed to mention that my brother, Elijah, was a very famous lawyer, owning his own law firm with Kace as one of his employees.

I picked up the bourbon that was sitting on top of the glass table before pouring it in the glass and taking a sip when a few minutes later, I heard the door open and a maid telling me that my brother and Kace were here.

I nodded in understanding and then sent her to call Ophelia.

"Little brother." I heard that deep, earth-shaking voice enter the room. "Haven't seen you in a long time." He clapped me on the back, his long blonde hair in need of a cut.