h o n u ☾

honu - green sea turtle

 The fact that Emerson has to wear something other than his usual attire is the first strike for him

The dark army green quick dry shorts Rhyme kindly offered to Emerson to borrow for the day, along with his own white cotton shirt, aren't exactly an exaggerated change from the usual khaki shorts. Let's just say that Emerson is used to having more room in his shorts than Rhyme is comfortable with.

"How are those fitting, man?" Rhyme asks him with a chuckle just as Emerson pulls subtly at the crotch of the shorts, hoping to stretch the material.

"Well..." Emerson sighs, "For one, I get that you're used to your clothes being a bit more...hugging. But I'm not exactly apt to - "

"Oh come on, Frat Boy." Alex's hand comes down on Emerson's back in the manner of a manly pat, "You look great. This is a much needed improvement from your normal baggy shorts." His friend's honest comment isn't exactly what Emerson is inclined to hear.

"Guys, he's just not used to wearing hiking clothes, give him a break." Claire sighs as she stands with her back to the boys, staring into the mirror as she attempts to perfect her short ponytail.

Alex scoffs, "You need to quit mollycoddling him. He's a big boy, he can speak for himself." The girl turns, giving him her ring finger and a glare, "Wow, Claire. You realize it means the same thing even if you're not using your middle finger, right?" She juts her tongue out at him in reply before going back to the task at hand.

Isaac suddenly bursts into the hotel room with a triumphant grin, holding up two new key cards in his hand, "I just went to the front desk. We can switch rooms as soon as possible! See guys, things are starting to look up!"

Gwen comes out of the bathroom, bags under her eyes as she yawns with wild hair, "Speak for yourself. I hardly got any sleep because Claire kept tossing and turning all night." Her narrowed eyes are directed at our Asian friend.

"I'm sorry!" She deflects, "I still had a stomach ache!" Her whining lessens Gwen's frustrated expression but that clearly doesn't help her exhaustion.

"It's fine." She sighs in defeat, sitting on the edge of the bed in her perfectly coordinated hiking gear, "I'll just take a nap once we get back. What time are we supposed to meet her again?" Gwen asks with another sad yawn, Isaac regarding at her with an empathetic smile.

"She said we should constellate at the bottom of the trail around noon." He tells her before approaching the bed and placing an arm around her, "And don't worry, babe. We'll all make sure you get some sleep as soon as we return."

"She?" Emerson's thick dark brows furrow at the discovery, "Our tour guide is a girl?" For some reason he pictured some sort of Dwayne Johnson type of guy with an Australian accent and a tough demeanor.