7 - Race Me, Cal

Please, just don't ask me why this hasn't been updated before. I was sure it was!

Thanks to Auto_Correct as always!

Hope you enjoy this one! And since the wait has been so long, I think I'll update next chapter sooner. I'll just wait to see what you think about this chapter, because well...

Let's just read.

Two days later Michael's hair is pink. Calum ate bubble ice cream just for the pleasure of seeing him dye his hair like that and if he got a bellyache from that, it's just karma.

Maybe Michael likes his pink hair. It looks funny and it reminds him of Calum finally opening up to him. The kids at work love it and even Calum seems surprised in a good way.

They get in the water quickly this time. Calum is in a good mood as he tries to find his balance and not lean on Michael, even if Michael keeps holding his hands as he does with the kids.

"Race me!" Ashton says suddenly, throwing his bathrobe on the bench and slipping in the water.

Calum rolls his eyes. "Why is he here again?" he asks, tightening his grip on Michael.

"Nice hair, Mike," he says, flailing around. "I'm serious. Anyway, race me, Calum! I'll only use my arms."

"Ashton," Michael says in a warning tone. He and Calum were barely managing to stand in the pool, how could Ashton even think that Calum could swim?

Then, Calum's answer startles him. "Only arms. No cheating."

Ashton grins and there's something in his eyes that Michael can't make out. He seems happy. Relieved, maybe.

Michael gazes between the two boys. He doesn't like how this conversation is going, it all seems too rushed for him.

"No cheating. Need an advantage?" Ashton asks, brushing his hair off his face.

Calum rolls his eyes, "Definitely not," he says. He turns to Michael. "Could you, um, could you help me over there?" he adds pointing to the wall.

"Really? I don't think it's a good idea," Michael tells him. "I mean, you're scared and-"

"He isn't scared. He wants to," Ashton says. "Trust me."

Michael frowns. "Ashton, really. He can't walk."

"He doesn't need his legs. He's a natural. Trust me, I wouldn't ask if I didn't think he could handle it."

"Are you done talking about me as if I'm not here?" Calum snaps. "Help me get there, Mike. I promise I can do this. I want to."

Michael groans, but he reluctantly obliges, muttering a "You'll get me fired," under his breath.

He watches carefully as Calum holds himself up with one hand over the wall, the other one clenching Michael's fingers.

"You count," Calum tells Michael.

Michael takes a moment to look at him. He looks so different, so much more alive, it's entertaining. His hair is covering his eyes and Michael can just barely make out his determined look. His pink lips are closed in a thin line, but there's a hint of a smile over them. He shakes his head. "You're crazy. Don't overwork yourself," Michael warns him one more time.

"Michael, count," Ashton says.

"3, 2, 1, go," Michael says, letting go of Calum's hand as the boy awkwardly starts moving his arms.

For the first few seconds, Michael stares, wondering how is it even possible that he is swimming without using his legs. Then it clicks, he can't use his legs, he might drown. So he scrambles out of the pool, almost slipping because of his wet feet and moves along the edge of the pool to follow him, just in case. Ashton's a lot faster than he expects. It's the first time Michael's seen him swim and it shocks him that he's so good.