Chapter 44

"You met with him for two-and-a-half hours?" Christian gasped, sounding surprised.

"He had a lot of questions and concerns," Welch replied. "It took some time to convince him I was genuine and not a scam artist. Then I went through the DNA trail that led us to him."

"Did he believe you?" Fifty's voice was strained.

"Eventually. When I mentioned your age and the time in which you were most likely conceived, something clicked. He went from being skeptical to asking a lot more questions."

My inner Goddess cheered. If Christian's father reacted in that way, it hinted that perhaps Christian's mother was known to him, and not a one-off with an underage sex-worker.

"What did he want to know?" I asked, hoping that former Sergeant Major O'Riley had shown an interest in Christian.

"Everything," Welch chuckled. "I explained from the outset I was only in possession of partial information, and before I could disclose even that, I needed an NDA signed. He wouldn't sign an agreement without his lawyer checking it over, so he gave me a coffee and scanned the document and emailed it to his legal counsel. Then he spent half an hour speaking privately with his attorney on the phone before rejoining me with a signed copy of the NDA. His lawyer had a few questions for me, revolving around your expectations and intentions. The lawyer seemed concerned you might have a pecuniary interest in your birth father. I explained your primary motivation was information, particularly given you had recently become a father for the first time yourself."

"How did David take that?" Christian asked. The first time Christian had referred to his birth father by name, I appreciated it represented a shift in the way he thought his male biological parent.

"He seemed pleased," Welch said, amusement clear in his tone. "He said something like 'So I'm a grandpa, too!'"

"Was he interested in knowing about me?" my darling husband asked.

"He wanted to learn everything. After the initial shock wore off, he asked questions I didn't have your authority to answer. So instead, I told him in broad terms about your life. I told him you were adopted and close with your adoptive family. I explained you had married and recently welcomed your first child. While it concerned his attorney your interest might be in his assets, your birth father seemed more concerned that you were doing ok and if you needed help. I assured him your adoptive family was financially comfortable, that you are doing well in your line of business and would not be seeking any financial support or recompense from him."

"He thought I wanted his money?" Christian asked sadly.

"No. It didn't come across that way. It seemed he worried for you. At one stage he mentioned he didn't have a lot, but if it turned out you were his, he could afford to help you out if you needed it."

I couldn't help it. A sob escaped my throat.

"Anastasia?" Christian crooned, his attention switching to me. "Are you ok?"

"I'm ok," I confirmed, not caring if Welch witnessed to our conversation. "It's just... he sounds so nice!" I took a moment to compose myself. "Mr. Welch? What does he look like?"

"Well let's say any DNA test will just confirm the obvious! He looks very much like Mr. Grey, but with green eyes. Having seen the photo of 'Ella' Mr. Grey provided, I can say I can see both Mr. Grey's biological parents in him."

"Did he say anything about Ella?" Christian asked. His search had started with her, so I was unsurprised he asked.

"No. Once I explained I had limited information, your father would not discuss anything beyond giving me an outline of his life that confirmed what we already knew. He said he'd like to discuss further details with you in person."