Chapter 9

I woke up to something, or someone, moving on the bed beside me. Bright in the room, it took a moment for me to recognize I was in hospital, and who was curled up next to me. Tousled copper curls tucked into the crook of my neck, I'd recognize my husband's unruly mop anywhere. The same hair he'd gifted our handsome son. Startled, I tried to look around. If Christian was here who had Teddy?

"I have him, dear girl," a voice said, and I looked to the side of the room to see my mother-in-law Grace holding Theodore. "Christian has not had a proper sleep since you went into labor, and you also needed your rest."

"How long have I been out?" I asked, glaring at the canula in the back of my hand with a drip running into it. I was well and truly sick of being in hospital.

"About four hours. Do you remember much?"

I shook my head. I could only remember bits and pieces. My last clear memory was at the farmhouse, begging Millie to call 911. After that there were only snippets. I remember Christian's face looming over mine as his tears dropped on to my fevered skin. I recollected him carrying me downstairs to an ambulance. At the edge of my memory, I think I remember waking up at one stage, Christian sitting behind me as I breastfed Teddy.

"You had an infection, so the girl at the house rang the police. Christian's staff had already identified her as a suspect in your disappearance, so we were on our way when your whereabouts were confirmed. They have apprehended Jack Hyde, and Millie, and we're nearby in the Davison hospital."

"Is everyone ok?"

"Everyone who counts," Grace said lips pursed, her words ominous.

"What do you mean?" I asked, a little alarmed.

Grace looked toward the door to make sure she would not be overheard.

"Your father was on the plane with us and at the house when Jack Hyde returned. My understanding is Hyde tried to run." Grace's eyes dipped to regard Teddy, and I guessed she wasn't telling me the entire truth. However, knowing how protective Ray Steele was, I joined the dots.

"How bad?" I asked, not without a degree of satisfaction.

"Bad enough," Grace said with the shadow of a grin. "Taylor updated me a little while ago. They operated on Jack Hyde at the Lapeer hospital an hour or two back. They reset his nose but could not save his remaining testicle."

Go Daddy! I'd like to say I had sympathy for Jack, yet I felt nothing other than relief.

"What about Millie? She helped him, but she's not a bad person and he treated her horribly..."

"Millie is at the Davison police station talking with the FBI. They understand Jack coerced her."

Teddy's feeble cries halted any further conversation.

"I think your little man needs you," Grace said with a soft smile. "Your big one, too."

Christian had his arm draped around my waist, one long leg hooked over the top of me. My hand dropped to caress his shoulder. I couldn't escape him even had I wanted to!

"Christian? Get up... I need to feed our son."

Not answering, Christian instead kissed the side of my neck before burrowing even closer to me.

"Hands off, Romeo," I teased. "A little man here needs my breasts."

The curve of Christian's lips pressed against my neck as he smiled.

"I think I need your breasts more," he grumbled softly. However he relinquished his hold on me, leaning up to kiss me before rolling over and sitting on the edge of the bed facing Grace.