Chapter 10

Jack

My mind wandered as I half listened to the doctor in recovery. Ribs, nose, eye socket, liver. They'd all heal, more or less. Eventually. Losing my remaining testicle was devastating though. Until Anastasia, kids never crossed my radar. But now, thanks to her, I'd never have them. Even I could see the poetic justice of what had occurred.

When I'd opened the door at Millie's seeing an older guy I didn't recognize, I didn't expect our introduction to be via his fist. Yet in only a few minutes, he'd beaten me next to senseless. Before I'd had a chance to respond, he had me out the door. Once I'd fallen back onto the porch, he was on top of me, straddling my chest as he worked my face over. He'd done a thorough job. One nurse had shown me my face in a mirror. I was unrecognizable, and she'd warned me it would appear worse in a few days' time when the swelling was complete. Thanks to the beating, and the amateur stitching, they guaranteed I'd have a multitude of scars. But pommeling my face had only been the start of what the dude did.

Once I was down for the count, he'd stood up, kicking me again and again in my ribs and abdomen, breaking several of the protective bones framing my internal organs and giving me a severely bruised liver. He'd stopped, staring down at me for a moment before he delivered his final blows.

"This is for my Annie," the guy had barked, rolling me onto my back and kicking my legs apart then booting me as hard as he could between the legs. "And this is for my grandbaby," he'd added before repeating the action. The pain unbearable, I felt my testicle explode as his foot collided with it. Screaming in agony, I vaguely noticed others in the room, however not one of them stepped forward to help me.

I was curled in the fetal position, close to passing out, when a guy I recognized from the Seattle Grace Hospital stepped forward. Grey's head goon. I guess somehow they'd found us after all.

"Ray? You need to stop now. If he's too badly beaten, you won't be able to claim it was defense..."

"Fine. Cuff him," the guy called Ray growled, wiping my blood from his hands onto a hand towel another of Grey's goons provided. One of them pulled my hands behind my back, forcing them into an unnatural, painful angle before cuffing them together and leaving me swimming in and out of consciousness. I overheard them call for ambulances and the police. All I could do is lie there, wondering how they'd found us.

 All I  could do is lie there, wondering how they'd found us

"Prep him for theater," a disembodied voice ordered.

"What? Where am I? Why are you operating on me?" I opened my eyes and looked around in panic.

"Mr. Hyde, my name is Dr. Jarvis and you're at the Lapeer Hospital. We suspect you have a ruptured testicle. We're doing exploratory surgery, but I might have to remove it."

It all came back. Ana, the Ilyard's house, that guy, and being assaulted.

"I need to speak to the police! They can't get away with this! Can you see what he did?!"