Chapter 15

Ana and I sat hand in hand watching our Oprah interview. It had been an odd experience, sitting in beside my family telling the world about things some of which even my siblings had never known. Mia had got teary while Elliot pretended not to be affected but we could tell otherwise. My parents watched on proudly – not much I disclosed was a revelation to them except maybe the earliest aspects of Ana and I dating and perhaps the extent of the charitable work GEH was involved in – both relief wise and infrastructure building. Honestly a little drained afterward, we didn't stay long after the interview concluded.

Carla had suggested she stay with us at Escala until she left for Savannah on Wednesday. Given she'd had so little time with Teddy it made sense, so she joined us on our return trip to Escala. Ana and Carla in the back seat, Teddy sandwiched between them in his capsule, I had to travel in the passenger seat. We were all quiet on the way home, and I was unsurprised to witness Ana asleep before we'd driven five minutes away from Bellevue.

Back at Escala, Carla carried Teddy up while I carried Ana. Reynolds trailed with Carla's luggage. Once inside I took Ana through to our room, Carla following and settling Teddy into his cradle.

"I'll see you in the morning," I whispered to my mother-in-law, surprised to witness her brush hair back from Anastasia's brow, kissing her there lovingly.

"Yes, goodnight Christian," she replied, taking herself off to the guest room that had become 'hers' when she stayed. Teddy was due for his ten o'clock feed in less than an hour, so there was no point undressing. Instead I dimmed the lights and lay beside Ana on our bed, holding her until duty called.

 Instead I dimmed the lights and  lay beside Ana on our bed, holding her until duty called

I hated waking Ana, especially when she looked so exhausted. She'd been up to Teddy three times overnight and even though he settled quickly afterward, it was still a night of broken rest. Thankfully Gail was back on board this morning if the smell emanating from the kitchen was to be believed.

I'd already changed Teddy and diverted him with my pinky finger for as long as I could. Seeing him building up to hungry screams, it was time to wake my wife.

"Hey, baby. Sorry to wake you, but it's morning and our little man wants his Mummy."

The rings under Ana's eyes were dark, but she opened her baby blues with a sweet smile, yawning while she stretched like a cat.

"Give me a moment. I'll just go to the bathroom then I'm all his," she said, rolling out of bed and making her way to our bathroom.

"Any second now, buddy," I told our son, trying to head-off his righteous anger. Without success, I might add.

"Bellowing and wailing when he doesn't get what he wants straight away. I wonder who he gets that from?!" Ana teased, sitting back down in bed and opening her top, discarding a sodden breast pad before reaching for our boy.

"He's the perfect little CEO in training," I said, grinning at the thought of our son in twenty or so years becoming the next Mr. Grey at Grey House.