Forty Nine: Jinxing It

Start from the beginning

I only notice then that he has two milkshakes in his hands.

"You let him get two?" I raise an eyebrow at Sandy.

"No, this is for Dick," Logan holds it up to me.

Ignatier grins around her straw, averting her gaze.

"We guessed he likes chocolate, like you," Klover says before she and Jeremy drop down on the couch where Dick and I were just laying. A representation of them crushing every opportunity we've had this week.

Mean. I love having them here. But I love him too. And now it seems they are starting to warm to him.

"They did it themselves," Sandy murmurs to me as she passes by.

I grin, "Dick! The kids brought you something."

Jeremy smirks at Klover over the use of his name, but she jabs him with an elbow. Girls really are the problem solvers.

His head pops out. Though he looks neutral on the surface, I can see the suspicion in his eyes. I nod my head at Logan, smiling. He returns the look and approaches his brother-in-law with no hesitation.

"Chocolate?" He asks, holding the plastic cup matching mine out to him.

I sit in the stool behind me and watch as Dick takes the beverage with a smile, asking Logan what his own drink is.

Relief floods my chest, as well as the thought that maybe me staying here won't be so bad for them.

◊

I try not to look at Jason as he wanders around shirtless. Not that he doesn't look good or anything, but it just feels...wrong. 

Heather, Ignatier, some of Alfred's waiters and even Mai don't seem to hold themselves to the same rule, ogling the guy like he's a piece of meat.

"Heather's not shy, is she?" Dick mumbles to me. 

I push back from the banner and laugh, "Never has been."

Down below the gala is being pieced together while Jason waits for Alfred to find him another shirt. Apparently it's been a while since he had to wear something with buttons.

"You should get dressed," he tells me, fixing his cuffs.

The truth is, I'm waiting until the last minute because I'm expecting Melissa to have something for me tonight. It's not unusual for her to get speedy with these things.

Since she wants to get rid of Citrine I assume the motivation is tenfold.

"Later," I wave him off, turning around and heading to Logan and Jeremy's room.

He has probably figured out that I'm waiting for something, and that it has to do with my disappearance last time. I'm glad he doesn't press. In a way he's returning the favor for all the times I haven't questioned his flimsy excuses.