Forty: The Dark Life

Tim glares into the too-bright screen of the Batcomputer, no intention of dimming it in his mind. There is something wrong here, in the files from Perich Inc. he is investigating. Something that has his mind occupied.

After Amanda Waller had thrown them a bone and given them the information they needed to prosecute Logica Holdings and it's CEO, Brandon Logica, Tim expected to see these files in a different light.

Instead, they look just as they had before; clean. Even the files with information on Beautica and Steelest, the two Perich companies that Logica owned a part of, are neatly prepared.

Which, in itself is strange, seeing as Alan Perich should be in a world of hell right now. Far too frazzled to have his company in order. Tim has a feeling he can thank his children for that, especially Cleo, who he can now see has been moving stock from Perich to Wayne to protect it from being exported.

"We know from our investigation into Alan Perich that he approved transactions from the Perich Inc. accounts that match what the Relaysian army is receiving. Since he can't do a normal transaction because of the alerts on illegal activity, he's doing it by transferring the ownership of companies and therefore accounts with money in them to rebels. What I can't find is the companies he's transferring!"

"Beautica and Steelest though, they're two of them?"

"No," Batman answers Nightwing's question before Red Robin can, "Beautica and Steelest were sending actual factory items to Relaysia, rather than something electronic. Metals and machinery from Steelest and cosmetic items from Beautica."

"I understand the steel and machinery, but why cosmetics? Do rebels need makeup now?" Barbara voices what they're all thinking, though Tim seems to be lost deep in his computer, still hunting for files she couldn't find either.

The intense silence of the Batcave is interrupted by the familiar text tone of Dick's phone. He takes one glance at his screen and smiles instantly.

Without seeming to realise all eyes are on him, he turns around and heads for the showers, "I'm going home in a bit. I'll see if Cleo knows anything extra, okay?"

"Dick-"

"Let him go," Barbara cuts Bruce off. She gets a glare but to her it's not nearly as scary as it should be, "He was clearly thinking about her all night. All distracted and off with the fairies."

"What makes you so sure it's her?" Bruce asks.

Tim, despite being deep in his investigation, snorts with a sassiness brought forward by his frustration, "'Best detective in the world' ladies and gentlemen."

◊

"Fresh."

I roll my eyes.