Forty Three: The First Step To Forever

Early in the morning, Dick is fast asleep beside me. His hair is curtaining his eyes, his mouth is agape and he's snoring. It sounds unattractive, but this man somehow makes it looks peaceful and cute.

I unwrap his arms from around my waist- with great difficulty -and shuffle away from him. Judging by the darkness in the room it's barely early hours.

Something has woken me up. 

There isn't any twisting from Amethyst or Cyan, who are usually on high alert if danger is nearby. When I hear footsteps I quickly reach over and flick the bedside lamp on.

Blearily, through tired eyes, I make out a familiar child-like figure in the resulting dim standing at the end of the bed.

"Perich."

You have got to be kidding me.

"What the fuck, kid?" I whisper angrily, "I could have shot you! What time is it?"

Keeping the blanket up over my very naked self, I roll over to look at the alarm clock to see that it's only just gone on to four in the morning.

"There is something you need to know," he states simply, looking prim and fresh for so early in the morning.

Been on patrol, have we? 

"Right now?" I snap, glancing at Dick, who frowns in his sleep and turns slightly.

"Yes. Get up."

When he doesn't leave so I can do exactly that, I glare, even though he can't see it.

"Go into the living room. I'm not wearing anything." 

He makes some sort of disgruntled, disgusted sound before turning and hurrying out, closing the door quietly.

What would be so important he can't just text me? And why this early in the morning? And how long was he standing there before my instincts kicked in!?

"Little bastard," I mumble as I put my robe on, tying it blindly, but securely. I head into the bathroom quietly and slap some water on my face. Something tells me I want to be fully awake for this, seeing as I 'need' to know it.

I wonder if it's about that night with the car crash? That would explain why he couldn't just text me like a normal human. Then again, what has Damian done in my presence so far that seems normal?

"Okay you little psycho," I say quietly when I come out to the living room, "What the hell do you want?"

He's standing in the centre of the room with Cookie and Luscious circling him, but he doesn't look at them. It's strange considering his affinity for animals. He seems distracted and doesn't even react to my words.

"Grayson," he begins shortly, eyes darting to me, "Today is the anniversary of his parent's death."

I feel myself go cold. The anger at Damian fades.

"What?" I say dumbly, but he doesn't roll his eyes.

"Gordon informed me, though I was already aware. She also told me that he did not want you to know, as he would prefer you to treat him normally."

I'm not sure what to think of that. Do I get mad at Damian for telling me against Dick's wishes? Mad at Dick for not telling me? Or sad that he didn't tell me?

"Why...are you telling me then?" I respond slowly, glancing back at the bedroom door to make sure I shut it before I move closer to him and take a seat.

"In my endeavour to...overcome certain grievances, I have found that those around me being aware of the circumstances has...helped."