Forty Nine: Jinxing It

Start from the beginning

Mai storms back out and tosses a dress bag on the kitchen table.

"For the gala. It's been here for weeks but I know you haven't opened it. Since you don't care I let Ignatier pick. It's a teal halter gown from Demonica's Siren of the Sea Summer Collection."

She's right, I don't care, and that's why Dick is the one to go over and inspect it. He zips the bag open and holds it up.

"It's pretty!" He exclaims, looking back a me with a big smile. He turns at Mai, "I have just the tie to match."

Instead of staying plain or rolling her eyes, she gives Dick a small nod and smile. I can hardly believe she has finally accepted my overzealous husband for what he is, but it's a nice thought.

Ignatier and Fantasia usually pick my dresses. This gown is a pretty dark teal with a curved, split mermaid cut, jeweled halter neck and an open center-chest. For some reason when Ig picks, it's always on the more revealing side.

"Here's your shoes," she drops a box on the table.

I groan, "Do they look uncomfortable?"

Dick opens them too and produces a dark green bejewelled heel, strappy with an open toe.

"Your feet are so small," he chuckles. Mai visibly cringes.

"Wherever your mind just went is your problem," I tell her.

She glares at me, "Believe me, I want to leave, but I need to talk to you." Her eyes shift uncomfortably towards Dick. He understands quickly and retreats to the bedroom with his head ducked down.

As soon as he is gone, Mai turns around and darts into the kitchen. I know what the 'talk' is about. It's really just a refilling of my pills. It's just our luck she comes here one of the few times Dick is home too.

When I reach her, she is dividing them into weekly pill containers.

"There's something I want to ask you," she mumbles quietly. I can tell it's torture to say out loud, which means it refers to something personal.

I fold my arms and lean against the counter next to her, "Spill."

Before answering, she closes the pill boxes and puts them back in the cupboard, hidden in a box of corn wheat crackers, something Dick doesn't enjoy.

"After the contract ends, are you really going to stay here with him?" She asks, still not meeting my eyes. "In other words," she continues softly, "Should I prepare to move here fully?"

All I can do is grind my teeth. I think back to when Dick asked me to continue our relationship after the contracted divorce. I knew that would mean staying here. It's what I yelled at my family, after all.

"What will you do here?" She presses.

"I have some ongoing projects at the company. They'll take longer than the contract."

I can't seem to get the words out to answer her other questions. I know the feeling. It's fear.

Mai finally looks at me with a frown.

"You can't say it. Why?"

I glare at her, "Why do you care? It's not like you have to stay if I do." I leave the I can get pills anywhere out, because the elevator dings again.

The ruckus the children cause fills the apartment. Cookie and Luscious run away from them into the office.

My glare is replaced by a smile when I turn to face them.

"Cleo, do you think if I started a fire Batman would have to come?" Logan says right off the bat (ha) as Ig hands me my milkshake.

"No, the fire department would come. Then Batman would have to figure out how the fire started. Then he'd arrest you," I respond, ruffling his hair, "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll spot him some time before you go home."