That probably means we're in love with each other

I observed him assessing my words, raising his eyebrows a bit.

“That’s funny” He finally said, a second later.

“Why’s that?”

“Well, that probably means we’re in love with each other” He mumbled, grinning. I couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic or not, my heart missing a beat. “Or that we’re in love with the same person.”

I remained silent, staring at the floor, trying not to show my nervousness.

“I don’t think it’s the second one” I said, looking up at him again. “Unless you’re in love with a guy.”

Unless you’re in love with yourself, I thought holding in a smile.

He laughed.

“What about the first one?” He asked, looking away from me. I took a deep breath, I, assuming the idea made him feel uncomfortable, feeling like crap.

“It could be, you know” I said, trying to sound as nonchalant as I could. I didn’t spent the last month trying to forget him for this. I was back to step one again, and that made me angry. “If you were drunk or on drugs, maybe.”

“I’m drunk all the time” He said, now a little nervous. “You’re the one who would need a bit of a liquid help.”

I chuckled.

“I could fall for you without being drunk” I said, a wave of courage taking over me for a few moments. “You couldn’t.”

“And what makes you say that?” He asked, intrigued.

“People tend to fall in love with people they can’t have.” I said, not quite sure of my point yet.

“So that means you could have me?”

“No” I laughed. “That means you could have me but you wouldn’t fall for me. And I couldn’t have you for the same reason.”

He seemed to think for a while.

“That makes no sense at all” He finally said, laughing.

“I don’t know” I smiled. “It did in my mind.”

“It doesn’t matter” He mumbled, now serious again. “You’re wrong.”

"Why?”

“I would fall for you” He said, then cleared his throat. “I mean, who wouldn’t? You’re captivating.”

“And you’re a liar” I said, trying to hide the effect his words had on me. He just smiled.

“You wouldn’t for me, though. If you did you could have me at any time, any day, any hour” My eyes widened with shock listening to his words. “I’m just coming clean.”

“I… I don’t think I understand what that means” I said, my heart jumping in my cheast. “And I don’t think you mean that, Ed.’

“I do. But that’s the point; You could have me, I couldn’t have you. And that’s all” He said, getting up.

“Wait, what are you doing?” I asked, in panic. What should I do? What the hell should I do after this?

“I have to go, Stuart is waiting for me. I told him I would be quick here. I just came to give you the necklace” He started walking away.

“Wait” I said, getting up too, pulling him by the hand. “Call him and say you’re staying at my house tonight.”

“Why?”

“Because you are.”