TWENTY-ONE

Don't call me up
I'm going out tonight
Feeling good now you're outta my life
Don't wanna talk about us
Gotta leave it behind
One drink and you're outta my mind
Now, now take it up
Baby, I'm on a high
You're alone, going out of your mind
But I'm here up in the club
And I don't wanna talk
So don't call me up

I pulled on the champagne dress and stared at my reflection. My hair was curled in loose curls that fell down my back. The natural eyeshadow made my eyes pop a bright shade of green. I walked to the bed and sat down to pull my shoes on.

Suddenly, a knock sounded at my door.

"One minute," I called. I quickly walked to the door and swung it open. Lance stood on the other side and a smile split his face when he saw me.

"You look stunning, Lyla. Are you ready?"

I smiled at him and nodded. He held his arm out to me and I gently grasped it. My rib still aches a little from Stephano's beating but I didn't allow myself to focus on it. The gunshot wounds did not hurt any longer so thankfully I would be able to walk right.

"Is Jaxon going to be here?"

"Of course. He's your father's right hand man."

I sighed and leaned my head on his shoulder as we walked through double doors that led us to the top of a staircase. We walked to the edge and there was surely a hundred people in an enormous ballroom who all turned their heads to me.

My eyes quickly found Jaxon, his eyes narrowed at Lance who I was currently leaning on. I felt my anger rise.

How dare he even act angry when he slept with another woman? Sure, we aren't dating but he seemed to have real feelings for me. I guess that was all fake. I never should've said anything to my father.

Somewhere my conscious screamed at me that I didn't know the whole story but I ignored it. I turned and smiled at Lance as he placed a kiss on my forehead. We slowly descended the stairs and I felt my nerves pick up as people approached me.

I was introduced to a lot of people and asked even more questions such as:

Where have you been all this time?

Was your father hiding you in a tower guarded by a fire-breathing dragon?

Is this your boyfriend?

A lot of women seemed to ask the last question, glancing slyly at Lance after I answered with a hard no. Lance tensed beside me every time the question was asked. I'd be sure to ask him about it later.

We finally made our way through the room and found a table. I sat down with a huff.

"This is so difficult," I groaned. Lance chuckled. "Why did you tense every time someone asked if you weren't boyfriend?" I asked.

"Oh, well-uhm," he cleared his throat. "I mean, I guess I sort of have a crush but I know you're off limits."

"Lance!" I said. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Well because I was never going to act on it. Jaxon is my best friend. I would never do that to him. Besides, it's just a crush. It's not like I'm madly in love with you like he is."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Remember how I said he was the first to volunteer to be your bodyguard. He'd been watching over you already. When he actually became a bodyguard, he paid attention to everything. He noticed every little thing about you. He fell in love with your soul."