“H-hi,” I stammered. Get a grip of yourself, Alara!

“Jenna will be out soon, she’s just getting changed.” He smiled. “Do you want to come in?”

Trust Jenna to be changing clothes. “Sure.” I smiled, somehow managing to control my stammering.

“So . . . what’s been happening in your life recently?” he drawled huskily, which I hate to say turned me on so much.

“Not much really, it’s just a bit of a mess at the moment to be honest.”

“Oh, are you alright?”

“Sure, I’ll be fine. Thanks for asking.” I somehow looked up and found the courage to smile at him, which I soon regretted as he did a half-smile back which absolutely killed me.

We were still looking into each other’s eyes when Jenna came bounding heartily down the stairs.

“Hey Alara!”

She stopped in her tracks when she saw us, “Um . . . guys?”

Her brother was the first to look away and said, “I was just talking to Alara about some . . . things.”

Was that a blush I saw?

Jenna just rolled her eyes and grabbed my arm, practically dragging me upstairs.

“Please tell me you don’t have a crush on my brother,” she groaned halfway up the stairs.

I could feel myself growing hot. “No, that’s ridiculous,” I defended.

“Good, because he has one on you and it’s bloody awkward, I’m telling you.”

My voice started to get shaky again and I mentally scolded myself, “How do you know?”

“By the way he looks at you. Trust me; I’d know when he has a crush on someone. I’m his sister and I’ve never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you.”

This probably wasn’t a very good thing to tell me on the stairs as my heart skipped a beat and I nearly fell backwards at the thought of Lucas liking me. I mean, I’m just plain old me. Who in their right mind would like me?

I’ve known Lucas my entire life so I’ve gotten to know him quite well but I don’t think I’d ever really shared that much about myself. I wonder what he found so attractive about me.

When we reached her room she immediately dragged me over to sit on the bed with her.

“So, what’s up?” she pressed. She was always eager for new gossip.

“I don’t know where to start.”

“Start with Brad,” she piped.

I sighed. Of course she wanted to hear about Brad.

“Well . . . you know the night we went to the party?”

“Yeah, the time when you and Brad had sex.”

“We did not have sex,” I said.                         

“Whatever you say,” she said.

I sighed again and figured I should just continue.

“I think I’m Brad’s new target and I hate it. I swear he’s been following me or something; he’s been everywhere I’ve gone lately. Maybe if I hadn’t fell for his charms at the party he would’ve realized he wasn’t going to get a reaction out of me and left me alone, but I kissed him and he was stirring me up at Starbucks and I have no idea what he’s going to do next. I need you right now, Jenna. I need your help.”

She didn’t seem surprised at all as the trace of a smirk contoured her lips. “Only if you beg.”

I knew she was only joking but I was in no mood for it. “Oh come on, Jenna!”

“Fine, I’ll help you. Let me think of a plan.”

She sat there for a good 5 minutes with her palms in her hands, and just when I was about to speak up she beat me to it, her head snapping up.

“How about we have a dig at his emotional side? Then maybe he’ll stop bothering you and not only you but everyone else too . . . or rather everyone that’s left… You need to get to know him as a person. Find out what makes him tick and what doesn’t. Find out about his family, friends, past, anything that’s worth knowing to use against him.”

“And if I fail . . .?”

“You won’t fail, babe, I know you won’t. You’ll do amazingly.” She winked at me and I nodded reluctantly.

“Fine, but if this fails it’s your fault.”

“Whatever,” she said, rolling her eyes and laughing. “Do you want some popcorn?”

“Sure.” I smiled. Anything to help get my mind off things sounded good to me.

When she got back with the popcorn we decided to watch a movie. It was between Mean Girls, Titanic and The Notebook, but eventually we went with Mean Girls. It was a must watch movie on sleepovers.

It was only halfway into the movie when I looked over and realized that Jenna had fallen asleep. Trust her; she couldn’t stay awake if her life depended on it.

I decided there was no point in watching the rest of it and switched it off, lying on my back and looking up at the high ceiling of Jenna’s bedroom.

I can’t believe she thought Lucas liked me and her plan was never going to work. Brad knew what he was doing; he had skill in this department. This entire thing was crazy.

My throat was as dry as sandpaper so I decided to go downstairs and pour myself a glass of water. When I had drank it all I set the cup down on the kitchen countertop. It was completely dark, I couldn’t see a thing. I had barely made it down the stairs without tripping over something.

On the way back I suddenly felt an arm wrap itself around my waist and pull me into a corner. I gasped, causing a hand to clamp over my mouth.

“Shh, it’s okay. It’s only me, Lucas.”

He let go off my mouth and I turned to look at what I thought to be him. All I could see was a dark figure and I couldn’t quite make out his face.

“What are you doing? Why did you grab me?”

“I wanted to do this. . .” he said, reaching out to run his fingers through my hair. His arms returned to their position around my waist and he pulled me closer to him.

What did he think he was doing!?

With an audible intake of breath he ducked down and… kissed me?

* * *

5,000 reads!? That's incredible, thank you guys so much. You have no idea how much this means to me.