Chapter 30

© Sweetslover8 2014. It is illegal to copy and/or steal.

~Uploaded September 27th, 2014

A sound louder than a rocket at takeoff shook the inn. It might've been someone breaking in, or a C4 going off, and I would have preferred any of the two versus the reality. The reality...

"You're going to have to stay in bed, Dani. This fever and cold of yours isn't going to let up anytime soon." Mrs. Wells took the thermometer out of my mouth, along with a gross string of drool, and checked my temperature. She clicked her tongue. "Hmm..."

"How-" I hacked out a hairball and sneezed again. "How bad is it?" My throat felt like someone had sandpapered it in my sleep.

"Bad enough for you to have to stay in bed for a little while. Have you been getting enough sleep?", she inquired. Honestly? I hadn't been.

"I-I have been having trouble sleeping", I admitted sheepishly. "There's a lot on my mind these days."

Mrs. Wells gave me that wise older woman look. "I see. You know, jumbled up thoughts and emotions can have an effect on your health, Dani. You should talk about them to someone, write them down, just get them out of your head."

I nodded obediently. "Yes, Mrs. Wells." I coughed again, and this time I'm pretty sure I coughed out a lung and my liver. Maybe even a kidney. "I'll be sure to get some- Oww..." I curled myself into a fetal position as a sharp pain erupted along my lower stomach.

"Oh, you poor dear." Mrs. Wells stroked my arm comfortingly. "I'll get you some water and Tylenol. And after some rest you'll-"

"No", I protested as a tear raced down my cheek from the pain. "No Tylenol. No Advil. No nothing. I'll be fine."

"But you really should-"

"No!", I said more firmly. "I have a bad experience with taking medicine like that. I'd really rather just suffer through it." Memories of darkness, scorching pain and hot tears flashed through my mind.

Mrs. Wells looked unsure. "Alright then. I'll bring you something to eat and a hot water bottle. Would that be alright?"

I nodded weakly. "Yes, thank you." I groaned again and curled further into myself. Mrs. Wells gave a sympathetic smile and shut the bedroom door as she left.

Why did I have to be sick? So sick I couldn't even get out of bed without doubling over in pain? I tried to fall asleep, but my body just wouldn't have it. Whenever I'd come close to it, my head would start pounding, I'd start a whole triathlon of sneezing, or my cramps would decide to just kick me in the stomach like a soccer player at the World Cup.

Bzzt, bzzt. My phone vibrated against the bedside table and I felt too tired to answer the text. But when it persisted, I groaned loudly and snatched it from the surface.

Andie: Good morning :) I heard you weren't feeling well? Mrs. Wells told Mom. I'm in school today but I'll come by afterwards to see if you're any better. We can watch movies or something. Hope you're better soon! <3

Garrett: Hi Dani, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Be sure to get plenty of rest. I'll check in later. :)

Nolan: I heard that you're sick. That seriously bites, but let me know if I can do anything for you. I'm at work all day, but I'll drop by later.

Brody: Hey, I heard from pretty much everyone that you're all but bedridden. Sorry to hear that, but you'll get better soon. I know it! Hang in there.

Dylan: Hey, I heard from the grapevine that you weren't feeling well. Do you need anything? Let me know.

I started to smile at the offer when the cramps started up again, flipping it into a pained frown. I replied to all of the text messages as fast as the pain could allow me.