CHAPTER 17: CHOICES

Începe de la început

I glanced over at Gretchen, expecting her to be just as shaken as I was, but instead of fear, I saw fascination in her eyes.  She was almost mesmerized by Gabe's father, as if she was in the presence of royalty.  Finally, some clarity started to register in her brain.  She looked over at me, silently asking if she should leave.  "Well..." she began.

I cut her off before she could come up with an excuse to stay.  "You can go, Gretchen.  Mr. Robertson will be back soon anyway.  I don't want him to think I was hanging out with you the whole time he was gone."

She looked back at Gabe's father.  "Fine," she mumbled.  "See ya at school tomorrow"

"See you tomorrow," I said, watching her leave. 

As she went to push the door outward, it magically opened for her.  I took a few steps to the right to see two men standing outside, one holding the door for Gretchen as she left the store.  I could also see a black limousine waiting in the street across the promenade, the motor still running.  At least he didn't plan to stay long.  That was a good sign. 

He started walking around the bookstore, silently taking in the shelves of books before coming to a stop about five feet in front of me.

I stood in place, not saying a word. 

"You won't survive," he declared, looking me straight in the eye.

That wasn't the intro I was expecting.  "Survive what?" I asked, wondering if I had just been threatened.

"A relationship with my son.  You will never be able to handle our world," he stated confidently, his stare never wavering from mine.

I stared right back and waited a moment before responding, my nerves shifting into anger.  "Seeing as I don't plan to be a part of your world, I don't see how it'll be a problem."

He raised his eyebrows.  "So you already plan to end things with Gabriel then?"

"Of course not!" I answered.

"Then I don't understand."

I hesitated.  I wasn't sure when Gabe planned to inform his father of his decision, but I did know I probably shouldn't be the one to do it.  "Why are you here, Mr. Valente?" I asked, avoiding the subject altogether.

He chuckled.  "I recently noticed an exorbitant amount of expenses come through for a cabin, a banquet hall, an orchestra and a carriage rental.  Not to mention Stella's unexpected visit.  It's clear Gabriel must be quite taken with you to go to such great trouble."

"Gabe is a very generous person.  We care about each other a lot," I told him.

He nodded his head.  "You must be very important to him indeed.  It took quite a bit of prodding to get Francesca to reveal what had finally tamed my son.  The fact that he asked her to keep it from me only convinces me more that you are extremely important to him."

"He's very important to me too.  He's the most important thing in my life," I revealed.

"I'm glad to hear you say that, Ms. Thorpe."

"Athena," I said, interrupting him.  "You can call me Athena."

"Athena...like the goddess?" he scoffed.  "Well, the reason I'm here is to talk to you about Gabriel's future."

"What about it?"  A sickening feeling began to form in the pit of my stomach.

"I want to make sure you don't interfere with Gabriel's plans," he stated, taking a step towards me.

"How would I interfere?" I asked, instinctively taking a step backwards.

"You seem like an intelligent person, Athena, so I won't insult you with lies.  I'm sure you know what I do for a living.  Gabriel is in a position to inherit the family business one day.  It is imperative for him to take his place within the organization after he graduates."