CHAPTER 9: SCHOOL SPIRIT

Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 9: "Army of One" by Coldplay

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            I pulled into the Sparrow High parking lot the next night wondering if I actually did enjoy self torture.  Subjecting myself to the gawking and snickering that would undoubtedly occur upon my entrance into the gym with Gabe could only be explained as such.  This was one condition I never should have agreed to, deal or no deal.  I had texted Gabe several times throughout the day with what were, in my opinion, far more enjoyable alternatives.  Things like taking a stroll through the cemetery, reading the dictionary or possibly studying for finals that were still months away.  He, of course, was unrelenting and refused them all. 

            I checked my watch as I sat in my car waiting for Gabe so we could walk in together.  Thankfully, he hadn't given me a hard time when I suggested meeting him at school instead of having him pick me up.  Having the rest of the high school population casting their questioning stares was enough to try to handle.  I couldn't add my parents into the mix right now.  I closed my eyes and lay my head against the driver's seat, the car still running to keep the heater going.  Maybe the next few hours wouldn't be so bad?  We would walk in, watch the game and see Gretchen cheer, then leave to get something to eat, just like we planned.

            A soft knocking on the window shook me from my thoughts.  I opened my eyes to see Gabe smiling down at me.  I half-smiled back and pressed the button to lower the side window.  "I don't suppose you've changed your mind," I said, figuring I'd give it one last try.

            He bent down so his face was level with mine, chuckling.  "There's only one way for you to get out of this."

            "What's that?"

            "You can back out of our deal," he responded matter-of-factly. 

            His eyes blazed into mine.  I could faintly see my reflection in his dark pupils, and what I saw was a deep aversion to the thought of not seeing him again.  I was walking into that gym.

            "I was hoping you'd make that choice," he said softly.  "Now, let's get a move on."  He stood upright, opening my car door for me. 

            I narrowed my eyes at him playfully as I closed the window and cut the engine.  I grabbed my purse and stepped out, only to see Gabe's eyes leisurely travel the entire length of my body, starting at the top and moving down.  Gretchen had insisted on helping me get ready, forcing a long-sleeved ivory top on me along with a pair of her designer skinny jeans.  She had wrapped a belt around my waist to accessorize.  She topped it all off with a short, vintage-looking brown leather jacket.  I let her have her fun since I wouldn't have given half as much thought into my ensemble.  "Gretchen's handiwork," I explained nervously, shrugging my shoulders as I surveyed my outfit again.

            He took a few steps towards me.  "It's not the clothes.  It's you," he remarked, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. 

            Thankfully I hadn't let Gretchen pile a mound of cosmetics on my face as I was sure my cheeks were now a burning red.  He was wearing faded jeans, his black leather jacket and a gray turtleneck sweater which gave only the slightest hint that there were hard muscles underneath.  I didn't need a hint though.  I had felt how strong he was when he had pulled me into his arms the night before and was hoping for a repeat tonight.

            "So?" he said, gesturing towards the gym.

            "So, I should probably warn you that what we're about to endure is not going to be pleasant," I sighed.